Proper precauations for Peru trip?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Proper precauations for Peru trip?

Postby blues_traveler » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:35 am

Hello,

I've been told that malaria pills are required to go to Peru. Do we also need a Yellow Fever shot? What other types of precautionary measures are generally taken before one goes to Peru?

thanks for your help.
blues_traveler
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Dawna » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:36 am

I would definately take a visit to your local travel clinic. They go through EVERYTHING with you. Yes, you will need a yellow fever shot. You also need to bring the paperwork with you as proof of the shot. I will be travelling through Peru as well during my trip. I have quite the list of shots I am getting, but i am going away for an extended amount of time and, even though some shots were optional, its better to be safe than sorry. I figure that by the time I'm fully medicated, I'll be glowing and nothing will want to come near me anyway. LOL

Dawna
Dawna
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ballu » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:14 am

It depends on if your trip goes to the jungle. If so, then you'll need both...if not I don't believe you need either.
ballu

Postby blues_traveler » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 am

I planned on going to Machu Picchu. Are shots and pills a good idea for going there?
blues_traveler

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:52 am

Hey Blues Traveller -
I don't think you do need any shots to go to MP, but you should definitely visit a travel clinic.
enjoy your trip.
lms
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Myosotis » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:53 pm

I've been told that the yellow fever shot is necessary now to go to Peru. I don't know if there is a very important danger to catch it, but something certain is that you need the shot certificate, as a proof. Be aware that the access to some areas of the country may be refused to you without that paper.
But I really don't know how strict is the application of the law by the autorities.
Myosotis
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Dawna » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:23 am

I am not sure the exact trip you are doing, but have a look at your specific trip dossier. This is found on the gap website. Log on to your trip of choice and there is an area that says "view trip dossier". This has great detailed information about, pretty much everything. There is a section in the Dossier called "health". Hope you find this info useful!!

Dawna
Dawna

Postby blues_traveler » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:18 pm

Very cool...thanks for the info.
blues_traveler

Postby ballu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 am

You shouldn't need either for the MP area. It is a good idea to go to a travel clinic. There may be some other shots you might want to look into...example the HEP A/B one.
ballu

Postby Sabine » Fri May 11, 2007 12:32 pm

If you go into Amazonia, you will need the Yellow Fever shot. Not so for mountain areas. Malaria, Hep A/B, Tetanus, etc are all immunizations to consider. When were your last shots? Many of the recommended ones are good to have even at home, like Tetanus, Hep A/B, so definitely NOT a waste of money. Talk to your local Health Department. They have a travel section. They answered all of my questions and helped me determine what I should and should not have.
Sabine

Postby jax417 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:54 pm

Myosotis wrote:I've been told that the yellow fever shot is necessary now to go to Peru. I don't know if there is a very important danger to catch it, but something certain is that you need the shot certificate, as a proof. Be aware that the access to some areas of the country may be refused to you without that paper.
But I really don't know how strict is the application of the law by the autorities.

I was just at my travel clinic today, and the Dr. told me I only needed Hepatitis A and Typhoid. I asked about Yellow fever, and she said for the places I am going (Peru Uncovered- Lima, Puno/Lake Titicaca, Cusco, Machu Picchu) I do NOT need Yellow Fever. The high altitude minimizes the bugs and she said there is no risk in that area. If I was going to the Amazon I would need it.

Has everyone else heard this information?
jax417
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jax417 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Sabine wrote:If you go into Amazonia, you will need the Yellow Fever shot. Not so for mountain areas. Malaria, Hep A/B, Tetanus, etc are all immunizations to consider. When were your last shots? Many of the recommended ones are good to have even at home, like Tetanus, Hep A/B, so definitely NOT a waste of money. Talk to your local Health Department. They have a travel section. They answered all of my questions and helped me determine what I should and should not have.

Are Malaria pills needed in mountain areas though? At the travel clinic I went to today, she said Malaria was not a risk in the mountain area of Peru.
jax417

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:57 am

Hey,
when I went to Peru & Ecuador, I had the yellow fever shot and the documentation to prove it for the jungle specifically and I was supposed to take malaria pills for the jungle specifically too... (I didn't end up taking them). My doctor gave me the same advice as yours did... leading me to believe that at least one of them must be right ;)
happy trails,
lms
little_miss_sunshine

Re:

Postby mast_2001 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:21 pm

ballu wrote:You shouldn't need either for the MP area. It is a good idea to go to a travel clinic. There may be some other shots you might want to look into...example the HEP A/B one.

I went to the Travel clinic and got all the needed and recommended shots.
With the doctor, we had a look at the map of Peru and Bolivia and as my trip JSM ( GREAT SOUTH AMERICAN JOURNEY - SANTIAGO TO LIMA) was not going to the jungle he said Malaria was not mandatory...

Now reading you here it sounds like even for MP you recommend?
A bit worried now....

P.S: going in February...
mast_2001

Re: Proper precauations for Peru trip?

Postby leahlovestravel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:40 am

And does anyone have info how far before your trip you should go to the travel clinic? I might guess two months lead time?
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel

Next

Return to South America