Peru - Traveler's Diarrhea

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Peru - Traveler's Diarrhea

Postby moviegeekjn » Wed May 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Recently returned from India/Nepal and most everyone on the trip got Delhi belly to some degree--some much worse, to the extent that they were wiped out and didn't participate in activities for 2-3 days.

My travel buddy and I had much milder attacks. Mine was only relatively bad for a few hours on the train, but not severe enough to stop me from doing the activities. I just dined on tea and toast for a day, light fare the next, and normal by day three. As far as meds, I took a prescription drug (two separate doses) during the worst attack and Immodium.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, everyone's body is going to react differently.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby IndyGent » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 pm

I just got back from Peru and didn't have any problems. Like aliciajayde, I took the Dukoral before leaving. I had Cipro and Immodium with me but never had to use it. Take the precautions other forum members have mentioned and avoid questionable restaurants. I don't think anyone on my tour got sick.
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Picasso » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:38 am

IndyGent wrote:I just got back from Peru and didn't have any problems. Like aliciajayde, I took the Dukoral before leaving. I had Cipro and Immodium with me but never had to use it. Take the precautions other forum members have mentioned and avoid questionable restaurants. I don't think anyone on my tour got sick.

Ditto on that. We did the same. We ate ceviche our first day in Lima — yummy. The Peruvians know not to serve the gringos with unpeeled veggies or fruits.

The food is great in Peru! Enjoy your trip!
No matter where you go - there you are
Picasso
User Rank: Traveller

Postby seamonkey » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:48 am

I just got back from doing the Absolute Peru. In a group of 13 people one person didn't get sick. Every group we spoke to there was someone who was sick! I had to do the Inca Trail by myself because the person I was supposed to go with got sick! My point is count on getting diarrhea. Get it treated quickly and hope you get it before the Inca Trail or Lares Trek! Good luck.
seamonkey
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Aerasay » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:54 pm

When in Delhi 3.5 years ago I got a dreadful stomach upset and was ill for around 10 days, apparently it stripped my system so good I have no good bacteria left and i am forever going to have irritable bowel syndrome - fantastic especially when you love to travel, and are only 21.
But I take immodium when it gets bad, and peppermint oil as someone suggested is a great remedy.i have never tried bananas before so i shall have to give them a go the next time I get a bad bout. I am heading to Costa Rica and fingers crossed I will be fine!
Aerasay

Postby stm252 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Aerasay and others who continue to have problems--
Have you tried Probiotics? I have had bouts of stomach problems here and there. Probiotics (good ones) that you can buy in natural food stores are a GREAT way to get GOOD BACTERIA into the belly and lower colon. I highly recommend this, in addition to Cipro, immodium, and all the other stuff the MDs suggest that you take. I will be taking all the drugs to Peru when I leave in 5 days (yea!) but Probiotics will be with me since they have helped me in the past after hospital stays that have NOT helped with serious stomach problems.

Take care!
SM :D
stm252

Postby lolagigi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:15 pm

I just got back from my Absolute Peru trip a week before the end of it because of severe diarrhea. I missed the Inca trail and the Amazon but was too weak and sick to do the trail. I had diarrhea on the 3rd day of the trip until the 13rd day even if I took Immodium and Cipro. I had no appetite and I was getting weaker and weaker everyday. I was sad to miss the trail but had no choice to came back. Most of the person in my group were sick too at what point and some had to miss some activities at one point during the trip. One person had to go to the hospital too. It took me 4 days to get rid of it back in my country.
Nevertheless, I had an amazing trip and would like to go back to see the Macchu Picchu and the Amazon one day.
lolagigi
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby coqui14 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:02 pm

There are a lot of stories of travlelers diarrhea, and I believe sometimes is just our body adjusting to a different type of diet. Getting a little sick of your stomach is totally normal, and your doctor will tell you to let it run its course without taking anything. If you get fever or after three days you are getting worse, use your Cipro (or similar antibiotic). We used antibiotic too often.

Now, the original question was -how to prevented?... I read in several places that taking Peptobismol before every meal will prevent you from getting sick ( I believe act as antibacterial). Also be carefull with the food, water specially when you brush your teeth and shower.

I have the tendency to get sick, and I was fine during my trip to Peru. Good luck.

J
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Cipro has been in the news lately...a few warnings about it. I'm not posting this to scare anybody away from the drug, just so you can ask your doctors for more info on it...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... /20080708/
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby loumers » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:26 am

I have a related question. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but... will there be any sort of toilet facilities at the campsites? I actually have no idea what a campsite entails.
loumers

Postby hamilh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Hey there,
I don't recall any one on our trip getting diarrhea and there were 16 of us. Everyone was happy and healthy for most of the trip and I think the thing that made some people suffer was the altitude, not diarrhea. But, there are medicines out there for diarrhea, so take the medicines with you, keep your fluids up and have a great trip! Don't worry about the things you can't control, be smart about what you put into your mouth, and if you get it just be happy that you came prepared, if you don't get it then be happy that you enjoyed the amazing trail! :)
Happy Travels!
hamilh

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:34 pm

loumers wrote:I have a related question. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but... will there be any sort of toilet facilities at the campsites? I actually have no idea what a campsite entails.

Depends on what campsites you are referring to. If you are talking about the Inca trail (and probably the Lares and other well known treks but I can't confirm), then yes there will be toilet facilities. However, a lot of these facilities are more disgusting than just going behind a bush, so you've got fair warning!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby voidczech » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Last year about 10 out of 16 of us got violently ill after coming off our Galapagos trip, heading to our Peru trip including the 4 day walk on the Inca Trail ...

Not just diarrhea but violent vomitting as well. I for one got sick on my 2nd last night on the boat and even had to be tended to by the airport doctor on Baltra Island before heading to Lima and my mother started getting sick on the airplane from Lima to Cusco and we weren't sure if she'd be well enough for the hike (she was though).

The worst case was one guy from Calgary, who was violently ill like me on the boat ... then it slightly subsided enough so that he could walk the trail ... and then upon returning back to Cusco he had a local doctor tend to him only to discover he had caught a parasite.

Most of us all had Cipro and Dukoral.

Don't shoot the messanger ... I'm just giving you our facts ...

Besides all this though ... the best trip of my life thus far! What's a little vomitting, diarrhea and parasites? lol!

-Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby LittleFairyGirl » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:24 am

I am going on the Inca Trail on the 13th of Aug 2009.
I was adviced by my travelclinic to not use Immodium or Norit, because if you get Diarrhea (sp?) it will most likely be a bacteria that needs to get out of your system. But then again, I get the impression from reading lots of posts here, there are NO toilets other then on the start (where you slept that night) and at the evening where you will sleep the next night. In that case, you would sort of NEED Immodium, right?
And really, are there NO toilets? Come on?? We all need a pee every now and then, esp if you have to drink a lot because of altitude sickness?
Please, anybody, can you give me info on this?
LittleFairyGirl

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Check out this thread LittleFairyGirl:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9003&p=37820&hilit=inca+trail+toilet#p37768

It should answer your questions.
JaliscoJudy

PreviousNext

Return to South America