Peru - Traveler's Diarrhea

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Mon May 28, 2007 9:47 am

Hey ramaloma!

Don't worry too much - everyone is different - I took oodles and oodles of remedies and hardly cracked any of them. Don't let other people's experiences stress you out too much!!

happy trails
lms
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Bobolink » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:35 pm

So here's a question, what about ceviche?!
I guess that would be a recipe for disaster, but it's one of my favorite foods and it seems that Lima is world renowned for it..
Did anyone have any good experiences with it- my guide books recommends a few ceviche restaurants that seem pretty high end, maybe those woudl be better to try?
I'm torn between wanting to eat the local food and not live in an overly cautious bubble while there, but also not wanting to get sick for my trek.
Bobolink
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:05 pm

I ate a whole mound of ceviche at a buffet in Urubamba a day before starting the trek, and I didn't have any intestinal difficulties. However, there are no guarantees, and I just as well may have been the exception rather than the rule. My advice would be to enjoy the ceviche, just don't forget the immodium...

Regards,
Tom
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:09 am

Ditto - I ate as much ceviche as possible and suffered no ill effects whatsoever. If you're going to Ecuador too, try it there, different and just as delicious!
:)
happy trails,
lms
little_miss_sunshine

Postby dadapoetrygenerator » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:28 pm

I had ceviche on my last night in Lima at a very upscale restaurant on the beach. I forget the name...something Rosa. It was incredibly delicious and very sanitary, although I became sick a few hours later. I doubt it had anything to do with the preparation of the food. I had a very weak stomach the entire trip and the ceviche probably did me in.

Besides, it was part of experiencing Peru so I have no regrets!
dadapoetrygenerator

Postby Louise26 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:54 am

I have read that you could use a few drops of peppermint oil in boiling water or black tea and drink it to help with stomache problems. I haven't tried it but you can apparently rub it on sore muscles and smell it to reduce tiredness too.
Louise26
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby KenWay » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:31 pm

I just got back from my Peru .. Inca Trail trip!

Awesome!

Didn't have any intestinal problems and had ceviche the first night in Lima!

It's not hard at all to say away from the "bad water".

Most places respect/cater to tourests! If you order water they bring you
chilled bottled water! The tea is was fine .. boiling hot when poured!
Just stay away from the freah "raw" salads. They've been rinsed
with the local water!

BTW I had the ceviche at some , I don't know the name, street side
cafe!

KenWay
KenWay

Back from Peru

Postby ramaloma » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Ok no intestinal problems to report at all! Tried out Ceviche, and tons of local ly cooked/non restaurant food. It was an awesome culinary experience. The restaurants were great as well!

Don't eat anything that you wouldn't eat at home and you should be fine!

As a side note... my sister ate runny eggs and got sick... told her not to, but you know little sisters. ;-)
ramaloma
User Rank: Weekender

Postby earthdude » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:18 pm

While on the trail our drinking water was boiled. Next time I go, I'll bring these instant lemonade or orange powders (Crystal Light?) packets to add to the water to improve the flavor.

Ceviche: Just to be on the safe side, I waited until after I got back from the Inca trail to try the ceviche (which was great). I had no problems at all.
earthdude

Note on Cipro

Postby Jamie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:55 am

Note on Cipro:

Ciprofloxin is a very heavy antibiotic to be used for bacterial infections (urinary track). The safety and efficacy of this drug in treating other types of infections has not been proven. It is not intented for those under the age of 18 (has been shown to cause joint damage), and in general should not be taken lightly. If you think you can get away with not taking it, then do. Further, if the infection does not clear after 3 days (6 doses) you should advise a doctor.
Jamie

Postby Anna » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:42 am

I agree,
I spoke with my physician about bringing along antibiotics just in case..such as cipro and she flat out refused to prescribe them for me..

I beleive her opinion was that what with all these superbugs around and antibiotic resistance that it was a waste..also, she was concerned about perhaps using them when they wern't really necessary, and then dealing with possible side effects from using the anti biotics (yeast infections, etc.)

So , I guess if a doc will prescribe them then thats fine, but I couldn't find one who would.
Bananas, here i come!
Anna
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Tall Paul » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:29 am

Hey;

In my trip to India, the promised land of upset western tummies, I learned two important things:

(1) Take your rehydration salts with you and use them generously, if struck.

(2) Stick to hot tea and dry toast if you suspect the local food handling is poor.

Paul

P.S. As a rule, I avoid most other travel medicines, except gravol, aspirin and malaria pills, if required. There are always unintended side affects if carrying a pharmacy around with you. Best keep things simple.
Tall Paul

Re: Peru - Traveler's Diarrhea

Postby jawo » Mon May 26, 2008 3:04 pm

I just got back from the trail a few weeks ago...and yes I did get sick...the day I should have been visiting Machu Picchu! Took Cipro, and was fine the next day. Just bring it...its always good to have on hand!
jawo

Postby amazon0313 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:24 pm

I just got back. I think most of us sufferred it at one point or another, 2 did on the trail... but they were feeling it when we started the trail, so it wasn't from the food there.

I didn't get it until the very last day of my month away. My 28 hour travel day. Awesome. I didn't start the cipro until I was back in Canada!
amazon0313

Postby jimshu » Tue May 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Interesting thread this...
Southern India, overland truck tour....Some truckers had been on the tour since it had left UK and had travelled across Europe,Turkey to Kathmandu, then down to Chennai where we joined it.
So at Kovalum, I and an original trucker ordered a prawn fried rice meal.
I got really sick and the other 63 year old lady didn't!
As she said, she had been sick a couple of times on the tour , but now she eats lots of local food with no problems.
I guess it just examples how our systems need to adjust to different bacteria that normally occur in different countries.And once we react to them, we build up immunities to them.
And it's better to ride it out,( take rehydration preps,Pepsi-Cola,immodium..) than take anti -bacterials ,unless it doesn't clear up.
Part of the travelling experience, perhaps?
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

PreviousNext

Return to South America