Peru - Traveler's Diarrhea

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peru - Traveler's Diarrhea

Postby KenWay » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:55 pm

I'm going on the Inca Discovery Plus May 23 to May 31,
and will be hiking the Inca Trail

OK now the big question, Montezuma's Revenge or travelers diarrhea,
what percentage of the people came down with this? What should I
expect? I have my Cipro for in case, but I was just wondering
does everybody get it or only a few!

KenWay
KenWay
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:49 pm

gotta love this topic..
in my group it wasn't common, I had oodles and oodles of pills and remedies and barely cracked them (the one time I did, I only needed a couple). Nobody complained about it (although could be because it's not always something you wish to share) ..
I think it depends on whether or not you have a sensitive stomach, and whether or not you take normal precautions (i.e., don't drink the tap water or use it to brush your teeth, don't rinse out your waterbottle using the tap either!) some people also avoid any raw veggies because they coudl have been washed in contaminated water.. the list goes on.
By the end of my 21 day trip I had pretty much thrown caution to the wind and it worked out OK for me... everyone's different though, so if you're a generally sensitive person at home, then you probably will be while you're away.
Good luck - and remember - bananas are your FRIEND!
;)
happy trails
lms
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer

Diarrhea...

Postby leef811 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 am

YeaH I heard some folks do got diarrhea while hiking the Inca trail...I want to know is it something one can prevent...is it the way our meals prepared or...?
leef811
User Rank: Traveller

Postby trivia » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:48 am

Hey there - on my trip two people out of ten got it really bad - I had it a bit on one day, but luckily we were back in cuzco by then! I did not take anything to stop it and both of the ones who did had tried to take altitude sickness tablets.

You definately need rehydration salts. Avoid red meat, chew cocoa leaves and the food that is prepared is excellent - avoid anything heavy - eat lots of the quinoa soup that they will make for you!

Happy trekking
trivia

Postby Jake » Fri May 04, 2007 6:03 pm

Diarrhea cha cha cha.

Expect the worst and you'll be fine. Everyone on my tour through Asia got sick and we all had a great time. It's all part of the experience. I don't know much about cocoa leaves but modern medicine suggests the Cipro+pepto combo.

Enjoy!
Jake
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Myrllin » Sun May 06, 2007 1:25 am

EVERYONE on our Peru Panorama tour (Apr 13-27) got diarrhea and, as far as I know, they used only bottled water, even for brushing their teeth. The travel clinic I went to gave me Novo-norfloxacin, and it went away within a couple hours after I took it. I had tried Immodium, but it had no effect. Two girls ended up in the hospital and one had to ride a horse the first day on the Inca trail (after visiting a pharmacy that morning for treatment). Prepare for the worst is all I have to say. That trail is too beautiful to be missed!
Myrllin

Postby yuenkay » Wed May 09, 2007 1:31 am

I just came back from a Peru Panorama trip (apr 23 - may7) and we had 10 people in our group. I'd say most people had mild diarrhea at some point. My travel clinic gave me some Cipro (broad spectrum antibiotic) and 3 of us who have had mild diarrhea for more than one day decided to take one dose (2 pills) since we were about to start trekking the Inca Trail. All trouble stopped after the one dose!

It's up to you whether you shoudl take Immodium or an antibiotic. It depends on if there is anything that needs to be killed. Immodium doesn't cure anything, it just means you won't have sudden urges... and that could be bad, if your body actually needs to get rid of some bad stuff in yoru stomach.

I could have beared the mild diarrhea if we weren't going on the trek, but who wants to worry about diarrhea when you're trekking for 3-4 days?!

So if you are worried, have your doctor prescribe you with a few antibiotic pills and just bring it along.
yuenkay

Postby Rob » Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 am

If you want to take a simple preventative measure, you could take probiotics twice a day before and during your trip.
It's not going to do anything but help digestion so it couldn't hurt. My girlfriend and I were taking a traveller's probiotic and didn't run into any problems on our Peru trip.

Rob
http://www.jet-setter.ca
Rob

Postby Sabine » Fri May 11, 2007 12:41 pm

Most in our group had some form of it. Definitely caused by drinks ---- avoid ice cubes at all cost. If you want to be really save, have only drinks that are made with boiled water, such as hot tea.
An easy way of getting rid of mild diarrhea is BANANAS.
Some of us had other pills, however I don't typically use any of it as long as I have access to bananas.
Sabine

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Fri May 11, 2007 1:43 pm

btw -
to add to the list of belly-goodness, eggs have a similar effect to bananas, and rice is VERY good on a sore tummy.
happy trails!
lms
little_miss_sunshine

Postby Jake » Fri May 11, 2007 9:21 pm

Although travellers diarrhea is supposedly self limited, I prefer not to spend my once in a life trip sitting on the toilet. Ain't modern medicine great!

Check out the cdc website for recommendations. (note: eggs aren't mentioned, especially since they promote growth of E. coli, Salmonella, and Shigella colonies. Sorry Sunshine...couldn't help myself)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseasei ... #treatment
Jake

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Mon May 14, 2007 12:33 pm

yeah yeah - I knew someone would point that out - but if they're well-cooked, they DO work wonders!
8)
little_miss_sunshine

Postby aliciajayde » Tue May 15, 2007 1:55 am

I was given an oral vaccination for TD. I took one does 2 weeks before travel and then another one week before and it is said to be effective for about 3 months. I have not gone on my venture yet but I am hoping that it works. The vaccination is called Dukarol. http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile41k.stm
aliciajayde

Postby Jake » Thu May 17, 2007 7:11 pm

It's only for Cholera and maybe ETEC.

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/community/travel/ ... ukoral.pdf

Why can't I get away from this topic?
Jake

Inca Trail diarhea

Postby ramaloma » Fri May 25, 2007 11:31 am

Wow this has me worried now... I'm doing the Inca Trail this July. I'm going to be taking the malaria drugs, and I'll have cipro and Immodium on hand. I've been to India 3 times and finally the third time I didn't get any diarhea. Here's hoping I stay healthy in Peru also.
ramaloma
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Next

Return to South America