Which trip: Glacier National Park or Torres Del paine?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Which trip: Glacier National Park or Torres Del paine?

Postby duder1976 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Hello all! I am planning a trip with my father, and I am torn between which trip to take in terms if you had only one opportunity to do this, which one offers more? The GAP trip codes are AGX or ATX. I understand that the trekking/hiking in Glacier is a little easier.

Any advice or trip logs you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

feel free to email me at pinckard@vianet.ca

Thank-you all!

Duder
duder1976
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jenfarmwald » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:07 pm

I haven't been to Torres Del Paine, but Glaicer is the most ridiculously beautiful place I've been to. For less traffic, trek through the Canadian side of the park; but definitely do Going-To-The-Sun road--it's absoulutely unbelieveable, even if there are crowds.
jenfarmwald

Grey Glacier

Postby duder1976 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info! I should have been clearer; Grey Glacier in Chile. Thank-you for your post!
duder1976

Glacier

Postby Gator_Girl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:17 pm

I did a trip not through GAP to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier, and I have to say Glacier just didn't compare in my eyes to Yellowstone. Myabe it was because I just fell in love with Yellowstone. Glacier has some really great trails and the Sun Road is great like the previous person said.

However, I guess if you are looking for something more exotic, maybe the other trip might be better, in my opinion anyway. But I haven't done the other one. Good luck!
Gator_Girl
User Rank: Weekender

Postby tgrando » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:54 am

I haven't done the GAP trip to PN Glaciares, but I have been there independently. It is an incredible place to visit. The scenery around there is some of the most dramatic I've ever seen and the hiking some of the most enjoyable. I would highly recommend a visit there.

The hiking really isn't too tough, as long as you're moderately in shape. The hike to Laguna de los Tres is very strenuous the last mile up to the lake, but you'll forget all about how tired you are once you're standing at the base of Fitz Roy. The other one to Laguna Torre is realatively easy, just long.

If you do go, it doesn't look like you get to actually hike on the Perito Moreno Glacier, just view it. Some of the most fun I've ever had while traveling was the hike I did on the glacier. If this is the trip you decide on, extend your trip by a day and take the "Big Ice" excursion from Hielo y Aventura, a local outfitter in Calafate.

I've yet to hit Torres del Paine, but I've heard it's incredible as well. Either way you should really enjoy yourself and if you want to hit both, doing one as a GAP trip and the other independently should be pretty simple. You can easily do Glaciares on your own. Hopefully that helps. If you need any other info, just reply here or email me, todd@tmgimages.com.
tgrando

Return to South America