Clothing for Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Clothing for Inca Trail

Postby katd » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Is there a weight limitation on our backpacks? I hear the porters or llamas carries our stuff (not incl. our daypacks)...just wondering... :roll:
katd
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby wavewet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:55 pm

porters will carry upto 6kg for you.
wavewet
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ballu » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:28 am

When I did it, we were given a separate duffle bag for the stuff we needed along the trail....with the 6kg limit.

All the stuff you won't need while hiking will stay locked up in Cusco, likely at your hotel...
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:01 pm

veggieswea222 wrote:If you are really planning to go for hiking then you require proper outdoor outfit.

Like, clothing? Pretty much any clothing could be considered outdoor clothing. Define, dude.
:roll:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby sgarside » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:11 am

Hi

I did the inca trail at the start of May and was mostly in a short sleeved t-shirt and light trousers/shorts. Needed a long-sleeved top at the top of dead womans pass but only for about 10 mins. It does get chilly at night so layers are needed as are a hat and gloves. I found the second night the coldest and (on the advice of someone I met whilst travelling) asked the porters to put boiling water in my water bottles and put them in my sleeping bag for extra warmth. GAP give you the option of renting a thermarest sleeping mat and I would also recommend this (if you don't have something similar) as it was a good insulator from the cold ground.

Hope that helps and enjoy Peru :)
sgarside

Postby traveller-eastwest » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm

As per monty above he needs 8 pairs of socks at minimum. Is this true? I only have 4 for 10 days :-)
Is that enough? I'll be on trek spit111124 leave cusco on 24th for machu pichuu and leave machu pichuu on 30th back to Cuzco. I have 3 extra warmers/leggings/tights for the rest of trip (entire trip 10 days)

Please help.
traveller-eastwest
User Rank: Weekender

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:52 pm

We only took four pairs of socks each. The heavy/absorbent hiking socks can be worn twice before needing to be washed so we actually only used two pair each on the actual Inca Trail portion of the trip. We took lightweight sandals to wear in camp so the socks were only worn a few hours each day.
We also did the hike in May and found it to be cooler at night as well but the thermarests we rented with our sleeping bags kept us warm. The temperature went down to around 8'C at night. We wore hats/mitts only at night in the dining tent, during the day it was warm enough in the sun and the tents were toasty once we'd been inside for a few minutes.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby markmol » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:49 am

hi 4 pairs of socks will be plenty, i did the trek last November & it did get cold at night, so a good sleeping bag is recomended & use layers in the morning, you will soon warm up 8)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby DarrenInCanada » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 am

Just came back from the Inca Trail and wanted to confirm that 4 pairs of socks is all you really need. Technically 2 pairs if you get those nice Merino wool socks (thin with medium soles) from Icebreaker. Just air them inside-out once you get to your campsite while you relax your feet in your flip flops.
DarrenInCanada

Postby dupko » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:28 pm

markmol wrote:hi 4 pairs of socks will be plenty, i did the trek last November & it did get cold at night, so a good sleeping bag is recomended & use layers in the morning, you will soon warm up 8)

6 pairs are minimum for me. :)
dupko

Postby alasgun » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Do you need hiking books for doing the Inca Trail or are hiking shoes satisfactory?
alasgun

Postby tletter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 pm

alasgun wrote:Do you need hiking books for doing the Inca Trail or are hiking shoes satisfactory?

I'd recommend hiking boots but when you see the porters passing you wearing flip-flops it obviously boils down to what you're comfortable with including hiking shoes.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10.mx/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Previous

Return to South America