daypacks for inca trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

daypacks for inca trail

Postby kafka » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:14 am

We are planning on hiking the inca trail in october. The daypacks I plan on using have a 33L capacity, and I was wondering if this will be large enough.
I realize the trail porters will carry some of our gear, but exactly what and how much would be nice to know. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
kafka
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ballu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:43 am

33L is plenty big. You could get away with something smaller, but if you already have the pack, stick with it. My daypack was 30-ishL and I had lots of left over room. You'll likley have a fleece and a poncho in there, that would take up the majority of the room.
ballu

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:06 am

Hola
the daypack I used was considerably smaller (24 litres) and I managed to cram enough stuff in there that I cursed myself many times because towards the end, it felt heavier with every step.

Whatever you do, try not to overpack your daypack. If you aren't 100% sure on something, leave it out in Cuzco before you head off to the trail. You can't shove it into the pack that the porter carries once you start!

happy trails
lms
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby LadyBird » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:20 pm

30 Litres is HUGE,

I traveled to Ecuador for a month with a 30 L bag. You could get away with something far smaller.

Just remember to pack light.
LadyBird

Postby yuenkay » Wed May 09, 2007 2:15 am

My 22L bag was plenty big enough for me to stuff my fleece and windbreaker into. You really really shoudln't need a 30L bag, you probably woudl be packing too much if you think you need all that space.
yuenkay

Porters - Daypack

Postby alica31 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:57 am

I have a 30 litre daypack. For the rest of my belongings Im taking a 'holdall' type soft bag. This has an 80 litre capacity but it will be no-where near full...

My question is, is it reasonable to expect the porter to carry this bag which essentially contains stuff for the rest of the trip (the inca trail 4 day excursion making up a small part). Is there an option to leave belongings in Cuszco?

...those poor porters.......
alica31
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ballu » Wed May 09, 2007 8:53 am

You will be given a small duffle bag by the company that the porters will carry. In this bag you will pack your sleeping bag and all stuff you won't need while hiking (extra clothes, toothbrush etc.).

You will also have a daypack. You will carry this. In it will be all the stuff you will need while hiking...water, sunblock, fleece etc.

You big pack with all the stuff you don't need while doing the trail will be safely stored at the hotel in Cusco.
ballu

Lighten Up!!

Postby Jacques » Mon May 21, 2007 6:55 pm

Keep that day pack light. If you do the 4 day Inca Trail, you will climb 6,300 steps, some very narrow, some two feet high, into a few narrow caves and if it's hot, you'll be ready to throw you pack off a cliff on the first day. I carried 7 kg, which was way too much. If it's not under 5kg, you will regret it. Remember, and take into account that it's also recommended that you carry 1.5 litres of water. The altitude will also take the wind out of you when climbing so you need to beep it as light as possible.

Porters are out of your league, so don't even try competing with them.
Jacques

Postby Rob » Thu May 24, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm just going to toss out my agreement with the previous people. I used a 20 liter daypack and it was more than enough for the 5 day Salkantay trip.

Rob
http://www.jet-setter.ca
Rob

Re: daypacks for inca trail

Postby chunckz21 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:05 am

Ok...another question about what to put in my day pack. I am going in August. Will I need to pack mittens and a hat while on the trail or will that be something I would need only at camp? I am very nervous about over packing. I have a 65L pack that can compress. But even though the thought of a waist strap is enticing, I think I will leave it behind. Taking only my 8L pack with 2L hydration bladder, and attach my fleece on the outside. It is such a balancing act. Too much will be too heavy, and too little will be uncomfortable from climate. Any recommendations on what to give to the porters and what to haul on your own (in the winter)?
chunckz21

Postby tletter » Fri May 07, 2010 7:43 am

>Any recommendations on what to give to the porters and what to haul on your own (in the winter)?
>I am going in August.

We went in August too and it was not winter in any sense of the meaning that I'm familar with (we live in Canada). The days were nice and sunny with the only cold part being the summit of Dead Woman's Pass. If you are interested, we recorded our experience at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/.

We carried 6kgs each with consisted of medicine, rain coat, sweater, our snacks and water. The items given to the porters to carry (6kgs per person) included extra clothing, toiletries, sleeping bag and mattress.

Thomas
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby damelza » Mon May 10, 2010 9:23 pm

I have just returned from the Altiplano & Amazon trip and completed the Inca Trail. My day pack was 25l and was only half full. The issue was not with size but weight. My guide ended up taking some of the stuff out of my pack and putting it in hers to reduce the weight of my pack to help me out.

For the porters to carry we were given a duffle bag that had a weight limit of 6kg. This included the sleeping bag and inflatable mattress which were about 2.5kg so that only leaves 3.5kg for all clothes and toiletries - I found the weight limit tough when packing. We left our big bags behind at the hotel in Cusco.

The weather was sunny and warm when dry. We had rain in the middle of day 2 (as we crossed Dead Woman's Pass) and it was freezing. I had taken my gloves out of my day pack because I hadn't used them on day 1 but I really needed them then so my advice is to keep them in your day pack at all times. The second night was cold and I slept inside my sleeping bag with my thermals on and my fleece but the first and third nights I didn't even sleep inside my sleeping bag, I just used it as a cover.

The Inca Trail was my highlight of the whole trip - enjoy it!
damelza

Postby sarah_g » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:08 am

Thought I'd drop my two pennies worth in, despite it being ages since someone last posted!

Having just done the Inca Trail in late June, during the day it got quite warm(26 degrees) and by night it was below zero. I had thermals with me and I was so glad I had them!

Beanie hat & gloves are a must. It can be really chilly in the mornings when you start walking but after a while you'll be boiling, and come the evening you'll be glad of extra layers.

It's wierd carrying stuff for a variety of climates in your day bag - fleece, suncrean, warm hat, gloves but it will get used.

My biggest tip is to take flip flops for the campsite! After a day's walking you'll be happy to air your feet and I just wish someone had told me that before I went.
sarah_g

Postby imegaphone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:31 am

I'm starting the trail on Jan 1st 2011 - I'm currently pondering the packing dilemma, and it's clear from what people have said here and what I've read elsewhere that the porters carry your belongings in a provided duffle bag, not a your own rucksack, which is what I thought.

My question is: If i take one 35L bag out to Peru with me, can I then use that as my day pack on the trail, having re-packed the items the porter will carry in the duffle bag, or do I still need two bags? If I have just the one, and need to leave some items in Cusco, will I need another bag for that?

Sorry if I'm being daft, just don't want to get caught out! Any help anyone has would be much appreciated =)
imegaphone

Postby sinecure » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 am

You will still need a bag to leave your stuff in at the hotel in Cusco.
sinecure

Next

Return to South America