Peruvian potato salad recipe?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peruvian potato salad recipe?

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:14 pm

When I was in Peru a couple of years ago, I had a truly memorable potato salad. Yes, I do love food, but this isn't the sort of thing I usually remember for 2+ years... it was THAT good! Had a kind of creamy, yellowish sauce.

Anyone have any ideas how to recreate this at home? I live in Toronto so can find many S.American specialty foods if given adequate direction!! Any help appreciated.
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby steve » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:19 pm

I may have had this with my roast Guinea Pig but to be honest all I can remember is the little critter starin' up at me.
steve
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:22 pm

LOL - I KNOW - I saw those too but wasn't hungry (adventurous?) enough to actually order one for myself. I'll stick to the potatoes I think.. anyone?
little_miss_sunshine

Postby Elle » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:33 pm

stick to the potatoes!! And the stuffed queen avocados. YUM!

did the salad have olives in it? here's one http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/17625/
Elle
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:28 pm

strangely, my home town, London, has several Peruvian restaurants... I'll try to find out if they will divulge their recipes....
Renee
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby keith » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:20 pm

Ask Happy Hour how to make it.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost." J. R. R. Tolkien
keith
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby woychukb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Sounds like Papas a la Huancaina to me. There are tons of recipes around the net.

One version <- I've never tried it, so I can't say whether or not the recipe is any good.
woychukb
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby chiquita » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:29 pm

It was probably Papa a la huancaina, it is a cold dish make with cheese,
I can give you the recipe for that but I need to be sure that that is what you want,

was it decorated with lettuce and eggs?
chiquita

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:27 am

Hi chiquita!
thanks - it did have eggs in it for sure, and there was lettuce too - it was more the consistency of mashed potatoes than the potato salad I'm used to from more northern areas... it was super tasty.
I'm so impressed at the number of replies to this post - unbelievable! I think we should start a new forum section about food!! (yes, that was purely self-serving... but..mmm..)
little_miss_sunshine

Postby Sabine » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Love the idea of exchanging recipies!! I had the Guinea Pig in Puno, however it had baked potato on the side. I took pictures and still get lots of shocked faces when I show them :?:
After I came back, my tour guide emailed me the recipe for Chinese Peruvian Rice, which was a dish we had, wrapped in a banana leaf, on the boat from Puerto Maldonado to the hiking trail to our Lodge at Lake Sandoval. I'd be glad to share if anyone is looking for it.
I also bought a cook book 'The Exotic Kitchens of Peru (Copeland Marks) on Ebay after my return. Lots of great recipies!! (including the Guinea Pig :)
Sabine

Return to South America