Lima - airport safety at night

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Lima - airport safety at night

Postby 7katz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi everyone. I am a solo woman traveller. I am flying into Lima, arriving at about midnight. The next morning I'll be flying to Cusco (not booked yet, just planning ahead) and I understand from reading a lot online that the flights to Cusco leave early in the morning. My question is has anyone just stayed at the airport for the 5-6 hours instead of going to a hotel? Is it safe or a completely stupid idea? Is there somewhere secure to lock your knapsack? On the way back, my flight home doesn't leave Lima until 1:30AM so I'd like to leave the heavy stuff somewhere and go on a tour for the day. Thanks for any advice.
7katz
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Lima - airport safety at night

Postby Zuleika » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Im not sure how safe Lima airport is these days, but airports can be lonely places when there are no flights in/out in the early hours - not sure I would risk it as a lone female.

Have you thought about joining something like this:
http://www.prioritypass.com/index.cfm

This is just one of them but there are several schemes like this which, for a small fee (cheaper than a hotel room!!) gets you in to participating airport business/VIP lounges which is bound to be a much safer option as theres always someone on the entrance, and then you get to use all the facilities - hang out in comfort, often free drinks/food/showers and places to put your valuables etc etc!
And i believe your membership runs for a year so you can use it again on your next trip!!

I havent done it (yet) but I reckon it might be worth a look at least.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby roofie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:44 am

I personally wouldn't bother with checking into a hotel since there aren't many close enough to the airport, but you could always try the hotel at the airport. LAP's website doesn't mention any info about the hotel though :roll:
roofie
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby stumcilwain » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:49 am

The airport itself is quite safe. It is rather new, clean, and they check tickets at the front door to keep people who have no business there outside. You should have no problem there overnight, and will likely find other travellers camped out waiting for the Cusco flights. Keep in mind that the area of Lima around the airport is not safe.

There is a left luggage service at the airport.
stumcilwain
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby 7katz » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks all. I appreciate the info. I did check out the Priority Pass website - sounds great but a bit pricey for my budget - $99USD plus a $30 or so fee per usage. I may see if there are other services like this.
7katz

Re: Lima - airport safety at night / Pass

Postby eric » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:56 am

Hi,

I have never used one of the priority passes. I have a query, I'm not sure it would do what you would want.

I guess you will land approx midnight, go through immigration, collect your bags.

Then your next step is check in for Cuzco. I would expect thats the point your "priority" would take effect, let you through to the special lounge.
BUT I would guess you couldn't check in the Cuzco flight until next morning.. ie you spend the night at the airport check in anyway.

Suggest you check out how things work in practice before you pay for the pass.

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby roofie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:34 am

yes, but at some airports there are usually special lounges outside check-in too, where you need a frequent flyer card or something to get in. I don't remember specifically which airlines had those at LAP but it's a big place so I wouldn't be surprised if most companies/alliances offer it.
roofie

Postby amberdawn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:33 am

I arrived at midnight and the airport was packed! Left at 1:30 am three weeks later-packed again! It is a very busy place, lots of security...
amberdawn

Postby 7katz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 am

Hi all. In the meantime, in furthering my research, I found this website which was very helpful: http://www.sleepinginairports.net/casa/lima.htm so thought I'd pass it along. There is also this site which shows pics of the airport and what amenities are available: http://es.geocities.com/peruairport/
I read another suggestion about at least trying to check my luggage in early on the Lima-Cusco flight just so not have to worry about it. Some airlines apparently will do that. If not, I think I'll use the "Left luggage" service at the airport for the few hours in case I dose off!
7katz

Postby lulu_mtl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:53 pm

If you want a good noght sleep, the airport hotel is probably your best choice for the short period. It takes about 30 minutes from the airport to get to Miraflores for example by taxi.

Also, as someone said, the airport's neighbourhood is not safe for anyone at night. And when you put one step out of the airport (even a bit before!!!) you will be "attacked" by a huge number of taxi drivers! They all want to give you a ride and they are all speaking at the same time ! Ouf!

lulumtl
Lulu Mtl
lulu_mtl
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby chuckmitchell » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:28 am

I landed in Lima, busted customs (after a long wait); found some travelers in line who were going to Cusco; put my pack on the floor and tried to sleep while we took turns looking after the packs. This seemed (2 years ago) to be a common practice. Check in for Cusco did not open until the sun was up. Sometimes this flight is overbooked so it was good to get in line early. The airport is far less daunting than the area surrounding it. The flight to Cusco is beautiful, although the fist fight between our taxi driver and another guy was not a pretty sight! Chuckhiker
chuckmitchell

Postby didi_beee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:40 pm

I remembered doing this same itinerary for my Inca Trail express trip.
I believe there are internet cafes inside the airport. I would recommend paying for 3-4 hours and just chilling and taking a nap there on the chairs. I don't think it was too expensive to use per hour, maybe $3 USD?
didi_beee

Return to South America