galapagos luggage and limits?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

galapagos luggage and limits?

Postby Ildi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:10 pm

heading to galapagos on saturday..what´s the weight limit about? I´m doing the land based tour but will be using boats to get from island to island..

i have an extremely heavy bag plus day pack plus bag filled with gifts..from having travelled for 3 months..my question
a) can i bring all that with me?
b) if not who is going to provide a more acceptable size bag?
c) is leaving my bag behind safe?

muchos gracias..
Work to live, don't live to work.
Ildi
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Andyedz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Ildi, this is what I found on the GAP website re baggage. Hope it helps.

Due to the cabin sizes on the yachts and the weight restrictions that airlines enforce, the amount of luggage you can bring on the boat is limited. You can leave unnecessary items in your joining hotel storage room in Quito. On arrival day, our customer support will provide each passenger with a special bag to give you an indication of how much you should pack for the Galapagos (please also bring a separate day pack for each person). Our designated bags are about 50L in capacity, allowing you to carry some 12-15 kg of luggage. They measure 72x30x26 cm and provide you with ample storage space for the duration of the cruise. The personal luggage allowance is therefore 1 special bag (provided by us) and 1 day pack (your own).
Andyedz
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: galapagos luggage and limits?

Postby marianhemsted » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Is there a weight limit for the flight from Quito to the Islands? We are on EV10Q at the end of September.
marianhemsted

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:52 am

marianhemsted wrote:Is there a weight limit for the flight from Quito to the Islands? We are on EV10Q at the end of September.

I'm assuming that the airline is the same out of Quito for all the Galapagos trips. If so, this info that I found listed for the EA06A trip should hold true for you as well:

The limit weight for the airline is 20K for checked luggage and 6K for hand or carry on bags.

Might want to double-check with your GAP rep though.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby mattkinch » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Hey Folks,

My name is Matt and I work in the Gap Operations department. I just came back from Galapagos in February, participating in our Land Galapagos program and had a fantastic time. No matter how you experience the Galapagos, on land or by vessel, your trip will be full of incredible experiences.

My apologies for any confusion with luggage restrictions, I can see that the weight limit restrictions for the airlines has not been entered into the trip details for all of our Galapagos trips, a few are still missing this important information. We will update this information immediately. Thank you for bringing it to our attention :)

Regarding the Airlines, I can confirm that the the luggage restrictions are 20 kg for checked baggage. For carry on 5-6 kg limit (although this is not strictly enforced).

I hope this answers your questions and you have a wonderful trip to Galapagos, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers

Matt
mattkinch

Postby sherik » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Could I please have some current information on the weight restrictions etc. for the flights from Quito to Baltra.
Also, are the duffel bags provided by G Adventures waterproof or have locks?

Since I do not own a backpack or day pack but would have to buy one, could you please give me some ideas what a good one would be or have when I start to look at them in the store.
sherik

Return to South America