Essence of Peru trip

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Essence of Peru trip

Postby eric35 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:34 am

Any tips for the older person? Am booked on the "Essence of Peru" Trip at the beginning of June. I am a "young" 70yrs and reasonably fit. As this is my first trip to South America I have erred on the side of caution and taken the comfort option which includes a train journey to Machu Picchu.
I would be interested in any information regarding:
1.expected weather conditions during early June.
2. Suitable clothing to take, including shoes/boots/trainers.
3. Any other tips which may be helpful.
Would love to hear from anyone of a similar age who have been on GAP adventures and how they coped. I feel excited and nervous about the trip.
eric35
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby lorne » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:15 am

we are going on May 13th with my wife's parents who are 72 and 73 so will try to remember when we get back to let you know how they survived. Have talked to another group who had one person booked for a hip replacement as soon as she returned and she did ok.
lorne
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby myorke » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:42 am

There was an extremely fit senior gentleman on my trip last year, he had no problem on the Incan Trail four day hike. If you're doing the tour by train, expect few issues apart from shortness of breath (consult your own doctor, of course!). The walking throughout Machu Picchu is fantastic and should be a great time!
myorke

Return to South America