mosquito nets???

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

mosquito nets???

Postby laura » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:33 am

Hi

I'm goin on the Great South American Journey in April, and am wonderin if I need to take a mosquito net? I have never been to South America and I have read that I need to take one with me, however on the checklist there is no mention of one. I was wondering if this was because the places we stay nets are supplied or if they had just been missed off the list? If anyone has been on the this trip or similar ones I wound appreciate any information that you have to offer?

Thanks Laura
laura
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Lilian » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:29 am

Everywhere I have stayed mosquito nets were provide; however, you may want to contact GAP and ask. You'll definitely need a mosquito net one way or another.

There is a mosquito repellent you spray on clothes and let dry before you pack your bags. It lasts up to 6 weeks, even if through washings. It works well, but you'll still need nets.

Bzzzzz,
Lilian :-)
I love to travel!
Lilian
User Rank: Traveller

Postby laura » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:57 pm

Thank very much for that Lilian, do you no the name of the mosquito repelant by any chance? i shall get in touch with GAP to find out more about the nets, thank everso!

laura :)
laura

Postby Lilian » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:26 am

Sawyer Permethrin for Clothing and Repel for Clothing are the names of repellents for clothes.

I use Repel-Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus for my exposed parts when traveling to buggy areas. I liked this much better than DEET. :x Even though it's plant-based, it still has all the chemicals in it.

I know you can order both items from REI.com

Lilian
I love to travel!
Lilian

Postby Coralie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:39 pm

Even if the nets are provided, I wouldd bring one along. In some instances I know of being told nets are provided only to get there and there be big holes in the nets (therefor not really usefull) and also the provided nets are RARELY treated with permetherin, so you can easily buy a cheap net (max 20$ or so) treat it yourself and it takes almost no room to travel with... that way you won't have any nasty surprises on your trip.
Coralie
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby vebrinda » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:49 am

seriously, you think we need to bring mosquito nets?? I'm not sure I would know what to get. Anyone out there that has done Absolute Peru and needed a mosquito net?? I am bringing repellent, but I was not planning on bringing a mosquito net... guess i'll make another run to REI and see what that entails! I'm hoping some GAP person will jump in here and clarify things.

anyone??
vebrinda
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Hadleycat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:17 am

Everyone that I have met that brings nets has said it was a waste of space in their backpacks. I personally have never brought one along. I just carry a small roll of duct tape to fix any holes that might be in the nets provided. It has always worked for me.
Hadleycat
User Rank: Nomad

Postby vebrinda » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:02 pm

oh good... I do have duct tape in my pack, and that sounds much easier than dealing with mosquito nets!

As for the repellent... do you recommend the spray? I imagine that is the only way to get it on the nets. I have to see if I can find Repel. Not sure I have seen this at REI.

thanks for all the tips!
vebrinda

Postby laura » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:37 pm

duct tape, does indeed sound like a good idea, had not thought of something like that at all, also there's not much room left in my backpack so anything that saves space is excellent!!!!

thanks for all the input, it's been invaluable!! :D
laura

Postby vebrinda » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:28 pm

Curiously, GAP does not include insect repellent on its packing list. I have checked other travel sites, and they suggest repellent with at least 30% DEET. The Center for Disease Control in the US also recommends DEET for skin application... with the plant-based repellent for clothing.

Anyone have advice on DEET repellent in SA and the Rain forest? My travel clinic also said be sure my repellent had DEET. So now I am in a quandry as to what I should bring. Any chance of getting anything locally in Peru?

thanks.
vebrinda

Postby Hadleycat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:21 pm

I always travel with insect repellent with the highest Deet I can find. Sometimes it's hard to find a descent selection here in the winter. So I usually stock up on it in the summer months to make sure I have it for the following winters travel.
Hadleycat

Return to South America