central chile

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

central chile

Postby traveller13 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:21 pm

Will be spending several days in the Vina del Mar/Valparaiso are of Chile this summer before heading to Peru and doing the Inca Trail. Does anyone have any suggestions of fun and interesting things to do in that area during that time of year (it will be winter). Thanks!
traveller13
User Rank: Traveller

Valparaiso

Postby zambonista » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:29 pm

We just spent three weeks there over Xmas. Fantastic place.

Ride the funiculars - great view of the harbour, Vina del Mar, and the coast all the way to Con Con from the gorgeous lookouts at the top of the Cerro Artilleria. There is a great subway/train system there, so you can easily travel from Vina to anywhere along the water in Valparaiso.

http://www.turismochile.com/guia/valpar ... iculos/592

Miles of beaches from Vina north. Winter surf is rougher than summer, so check out the coast road up to Con Con. Buses and Taxis are everywhere.

Eat some seafood. Drink a lot of vino tinto.

I took some pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtubatuba/TripToChile

Have fun. I can't wait to go back!
zambonista
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby traveller13 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi Zambonista!
Thanks so much for your information about Vina del Mar and Valparaiso!. My daughter is studying there for 5 months and it was fun to see your pictures and "recognize" some of the same places that we saw from her photos! Can't wait to go see it for ourselves!. Your photos were wonderful!!! Glad to hear that it is easy to get around.... just wish that we were going there in summer (Chilean), oh well.. it will be terrific in any season!
traveller13

Return to South America