water, water on the Inca Trail?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

water, water on the Inca Trail?

Postby traveller13 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Hello.. am doing the Inca Trail this summer (July) and very much looking forward to it. Am wondering whether we need to be concerned about availability of bottled water while on the trail. Should one bring along those tablets that treat the water, or can we be assured that GAP will provide it for us or whether it can be purchased along the way? Any problems with the water that will be used in cooking ( am assuming it will be boiled and should be okay?) Has anyone out there any info on this? Many thanks!!! :)
traveller13
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby francine_16 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:59 pm

The water issue was not a problem on the trail. You can even by Gatorate at a couple points on the trail. Yes the water is boiled by the awesome porters.

Have a great time
francine_16
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:06 am

Our first night there was a guy walking around selling drinks at the campsite. We were all able to buy water, pop, beer...

The second night we were more in the middle of nowhere so nothing available to buy. Water was boiled in the morning and given to us. We all drank it and were fine. I'm sure if you're really worried about it, you could take some tablets. I think it needs to sit overnight, so ask for your water before you go to bed.

The third night we were at a campground with a bar and showers, so once again water was buyable (as was pop, beer etc.).

Some groups camp in different places, but I imagine all would provide boiled water if it weren't availble for purchase.
ballu

Postby vebrinda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:41 pm

I was thinking of purchasing a water purifier... is this not necessary? I would prefer not to if I don't have to, but since the tablets are mentioned on the packing list, and I can't drink that, I thought I would bring a portable purifier.

Any advice on this?
vebrinda
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby mbellone » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:40 pm

I brought tablets and never used them. The porters bottled water for us every night. They even gave you the water bottles with hot water to put in your sleeping bag to warm you as you fall asleep. There were also places like people said where you can buy Gatorade. ON the last night there is a campsite that everyone stays at on your last night. It is the last place before the Sun Gate so everyone stays there the last night. There is a bar and you can get lots of things there. The porters always have tea for you at dinner, too. They are amazing!!
mbellone
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby myorke » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:48 am

I did the four day trek last June and had no issues with water either. Plenty to go around. Rum, however, is a one shot deal. If you get a chance to buy something like that on the trail, it will be your only chance so take that for what you will.

I had all kinds of extra powders and tablets that I didn't need. A purifier would be overkill on this well maintained trail.
myorke

Postby Sabine » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:57 pm

I brought the tablets and never used them either. The water on the Inca Trail is boiled well, and I had no concerns or issues.
However, one night in Cuzco, I strayed of my typical hot tea to a long drink. Our guide indicated the place we went to was very safe for the drinks. Guess what, most of us dealt with these issues for a few days thereafter.
Safest quick fix if you do end up that way - eat lots of bananas. They neutralize again!!
Sabine

Postby OpsDude » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:28 pm

I second that opinion that tablets/purifiers are redundant.

The porters def. boil enough water at every meal to refill everyone's Nalgenes etc.
If that is not enough, try to purify yourself with Ron Cartavio (local sugarcane firewater) sold at some of the stops by peddlers - this will support the locals too so qualifies as "sustainable tourism practice " :)

No one in our group had any use for water-purifying equipment.
Whatever stomach probs we had were either previously acquired or altitude-related.

Safe travels!!
OpsDude

Return to South America