money exchange in Peru?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

money exchange in Peru?

Postby frequentflyer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi,

I'll be going on the Quest of Gods trip to Peru this Friday. I was just wondering when/where is the best time to get some Peruvian Nuevo sol? I understand there is 24h currency exchange at the airport but they probably dont' have the best rate?

As I get it to Lima rather late (1AM) and we leave for the Amazon jungle really early the next morning, what is my best option?

thanks!

ft
frequentflyer
User Rank: Weekender

Postby chiquita » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:24 pm

My advice is to exchange money in a safe place either the airport or the hotel, I know you won't get the best rate but just be careful to exchange money on the streets ( you will find people on the streets exchanging money all the time) because even they give you a better rather there is a chance that you get some fake money especially if you are a foreigner.

What you want to do when you exchange money is to request a small stamp on the bills( they will do it) so in case it is a fake bill you can come back an complain.

I don't want to scare you but just be careful, Peru is a wonderful country but just be aware of your sourders all the time.

Enjoy your trip.

chiquita
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby frequentflyer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:13 am

thank you for your help. Counterfeit $ seems to be a problem from what I've read, I'll ask for the stamp when I get my money exchanged.

fl
frequentflyer

Postby ballu » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:19 am

I landed at 11PM and the $ exchange wasn't open. I hit an ATM which was located right across from the $ exchange to get some soles. Don't know about best rates...
ballu

Money in Peru

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:13 pm

You could place an order for the money at an exchange shop in your area, and maybe it could still arrive on time. I'm not sure what the rate would be, but I believe we did that and it worked out nicely.
If not, there is no shortage of places to get it exchanged in Lima if you have a few minutes in the morning.

Rob
http://www.jet-setter.ca
Rob
User Rank: Traveller

Postby frequentflyer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:16 am

I think it's too late for me now. That $ exchange at the airport is supposed to be open 24hrs a day. I head out to the Amazon the next morning, hopefully there will be some place to get sols
frequentflyer

Money Exchange in Peru

Postby ckirchner » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:59 am

Spent 3 weeks in Peru in Sept. During my time there one of the major banks was bought out and converted to ScotiaBank so there were loads of ATMS available.

We did exchange money with the exchangers on the street and had no problem in Miroflores.
ckirchner

Postby Vespasia » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Hey,

Just thought I would add my thoughts to $$ exchange while in Peru. My friend and I both found exchanging $$ to be extremely easy, especially in Lima (Miraflores). There are banks and money exchanges and people on the street who will offer you a fair rate. We found that the WORST rates were at both the airports in Lima and in Cusco. The other plus was that the ATM machines accept most major bank cards and the ones we used gave the option of withdrawing money in either USD or Sol's!

One word of warning that I wish I had known before leaving for Peru - Definately make sure that any money you bring is in BRAND NEW CONDITION! I had travelled before and have never had a problem, but you will be lucky if you can find one place that will accept a Canadian or American bill with even the smallest tear in it! I found one Vendor on the street who was willing to exchange my bill with a small tear, but the reduced rate that he offered was so ridiculous it wasn't worth it!
Vespasia

Postby frequentflyer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 am

I have some USD bills that have wrinkles, would they reject those too? Seems very ridiculous. Also exchanging $ on the street? Sounds very fishy and possibly at risk of getting counterfeit money?

ff
frequentflyer

Postby ballu » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 am

They don't have to be new crisp bills, but if they look really worn and have tears in them, they'll likely be rejected. I didn't exchange any cash, just withdrew from ATMs along the way. I'm not sure if this is the best way as far as fees go, but I didn't want to carry too much $ on me at a time.
ballu

Postby vebrinda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Is it better to have an ATM card or a Debit card? I don't have either, and am wondering which one to get. I know it sounds strange, and even my bank finds it odd that I don't have an ATM, but I prefer going to the bank if I need cash.

So I am not sure which is the preferred card for foreign travel (Peru).
Any suggestions??
vebrinda
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby frequentflyer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:53 am

Just picked up the LP guide to Peru for my trip, the latest 6th edition Feb 2007. It says that you can get better rate from ATM vs $ exchange, although I am not sure if it really is the case after you factor in the transaction fees.
frequentflyer

Postby Sabine » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Most of my transactions were in US Dollars. The only time I got money, I ended up going to a bank in Miraflores. I did not wish to use ATM's. Worked fine.
Sabine

Postby Louise26 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi!!! Has anyone used traveller's cheques in Peru? I'm from the UK and have a maestro (switch) card. Do ATMs take maestro? How much money did you carry on you throughout your trips? I'm going to Peru in July and really looking forward to it!!!!
Louise26

Postby Donna Rios » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:18 pm

It's best to exchange at the Scotia Bank or other banking facility. If you use ATM's take out only a small amount of money. Money that has a tear or is written on won't be exchanged unless you go to a bank where they will ask for a service charge. Don't take US $ that are of the CD series. It will only be excepted at the bank. Columbians were passing this series as counterfeit. Check all your change and bills to make sure they aren't fake. Don't accept money that has a tear or is written on- it won't be accepted. Yes, they make fake change! I jst returned to Canada for af ew months and the exchange rate was 3.17 when I left. See my blog for more info:
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/my_profile-aFYk ... UTuJ3?cq=1
Donna Rios

Return to South America