Bolivia Discovery

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Bolivia Discovery

Postby slee78 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi All

Have anyone done the Bolivia Discovery tour? Just curious how is that ride from La Paz to Uyuni? Is it a very bumpy, uncomfortable 10 hour ride?
slee78
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Bolivia Discovery

Postby wannabeee » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Hello,
I did this trip in April 2012. However, I did NOT do the bus ride you're asking about (at the time I went, Sucre was at the beginning of the trip and Uyuni at the end, and because my friend and I were travelling on to Argentina we saved some time by not going back to La Paz).

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but if there is something else you wanna know about the trip just ask!
wannabeee

Postby slee78 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks for your reply! I've thought of other questions too. :)

What were the accommodations like in Uyuni/Salt Flats? The itinerary mentions simple hotels with solar panels to provide hot water/electricity. Was that sufficient for basic need of showering? I'm wondering if solar panels provide enough electricity to charge electronics or batteries.
slee78

Postby wannabeee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Hello again,
In Uyuni we stayed at a hotel with private bathrooms, hot water etc.
On the 3 days/2 nights excursion to the Salt Flats, though, acccommodations were VERY basic. Shared dorms and bathrooms, and electricity only for certain parts of the day. It was pretty cold at night, so bring layers/lots of warm clothes! I'm not sure about the hot water, but I remember people in our group taking showers. Unfortunately I can't remember if, when I chose not to shower, it was because the water was cold or just because the air was so cold :lol:
wannabeee

Postby hkate » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Hey,

I also visited Bolivia with G adventures a couple of years ago. I can't comment on travelling from La Paz by bus to Uyuni, but in general the main roads are ok. We did take the bus from Potosi to Uyuni ...now that was bumpy! and very cold...we broke down in the middle of the night and there were ice on the windows, so definitely take a blanket onto the bus with you! As wannabee says the salts flats accommodation is pretty basic...we stayed in a lodge made of salt and only a couple of hours electricity. The salt flats is possibly the coldest place I have been ever! so thermals and hats are your best friends. It is incredible though and well worth a bumpy bus ride! Enjoy :D
hkate
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to South America