Lares Trek - IS AMAZING!

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Lares Trek - IS AMAZING!

Postby steve_chi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi,
I did the Lares Trek in June. It was fantastic and beautiful! You get to see so much!!
The terrain changes. It's by no means easy. And i love a good workout. It was truly a beautiful experience. The inca trail folks had a great time from what i understand but the lares trek people did too!!!!
steve_chi
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Lares Trek - IS AMAZING!

Postby spinner » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 pm

so glad to hear. i am going in August. would you mind telling me what the terrain is like? is it very rock? my knee is not happy and wondering what to expect.

also, curious as to the temps. what did you wear during the day for hiking and then in afternoon and evening?

thanks for any additional information .
spinner
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kcupp95 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:08 pm

spinner wrote:so glad to hear. i am going in August. would you mind telling me what the terrain is like? is it very rock? my knee is not happy and wondering what to expect.

also, curious as to the temps. what did you wear during the day for hiking and then in afternoon and evening?

thanks for any additional information .

It's a well worn path used by the locals.

There are steep sections that has loose rocks that I was very grateful to having two hiking poles for!!!

During the day I wore hiking pants, singlet, long sleeved shirt and a rain jacket.

After we got to camp I'd add my winter jacket and for sleeping I wore thermals, ski socks, track pants, tshirt, jumper, and a beanie. And slept in two sleeping bags and a liner.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby farnaz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi there,
I am doing the Lares Trek in about 3 weeks time - super excited.
Quick question: did you rent your sleeping bags and walking poles, or did you take them with you? If I don't take them with me, can I rent them there? Trying to travel light as I don't want to drag them with me for three weeks!

Thanks
F
farnaz

Postby graybeard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Farnaz --

Poles, sleeping bag and a good quality thermarest are all available for rental in Cusco. Your G CEO will provide the details, prices and have them delivered to your hotel.
graybeard

Postby farnaz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:06 pm

graybeard wrote:Farnaz --

Poles, sleeping bag and a good quality thermarest are all available for rental in Cusco. Your G CEO will provide the details, prices and have them delivered to your hotel.

Thank you - one less thing to pack. I trust the rental rates are reasonable - would you know what the approximate rates are so that I can budget accordingly? I don't want to show up and get a sticker shock! thx:)
farnaz

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:53 pm

From memory it ended up being $40ish for everything (sleeping bag, mattress and poles).

I took my own sleeping bag as I was unsure about the cleanliness but the hire one was very clean and good quality and I just slept in both to keep me warm.
kcupp95

Return to South America