safety in Lima

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

safety in Lima

Postby pg123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:14 am

I was planning on staying 2 nights in Lima before flying to Cusco but reading lots of worrying reports on trip advisor etc about safety and being robbed from cab windows etc. Even if you stay in a nice area like miraflores you need to get from the airport to the hotel so if I dont even feel safe doing that Im not sure what to do. For anyone who stayed in Lima did you walk around the city yourself or do a guided tour, and how did it feel generally to walk around? Ive travelled plenty and know to take big city precautions but Im starting to get the impression that the place is actually dangerous (rather than somewhere like barcelona which has petty theft and pickpocketing but its non-voilent). Not sure if I want to spend a few days somewhere that I cant even wear my wedding ring!

Thanks
pg123
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: safety in Lima

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:44 am

I arranged an airport pickup through my hotel - they sent a driver to meet me.

Alternatively arrange transport through G Adventures.

I stayed in Miraflores 2 nights before my tour and had no issues walking around - the town area is quite nice and there is a nice walk you can do along on the cliffside. Was a young solo western looking female with a $2000 camera and no one took a second look at me.

I did a day tour that went to Pachacamac, a nice restaurant In Barranco (included lunch), San Francisco Convent, Cathedral, Plaza de Armas in the city centre and then to an awesome water fountain park. Was expensive but worth it. I chose the tour because I really wasn't in the mood to organise public transport/taxi's in Spanish. Am happy to message you the details if you want it.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby graybeard » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 pm

By all means get a reputable ride to your hotel. I used the G pick up service primarily because after many hours of traveling and arriving totally jet-foggy-minded, having everything already taken prearranged is a welcome relief. The Miraflores district has the tourist hotels, expensive shops and restaurants. To help make things fairly safe they have there own private security force patrolling. You can recognize them since they ride around on scooters with blue lights on a pole in back. The historic "central" district, the one with the government buildings, cathedrals, etc. is a little sketchy, but also filled with tourists during the day. I would not think about being there after dark. Overall, stay out of the "rough" sections, just like any other large city, and things will likely be OK.
graybeard

Postby ballu » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:44 am

I'll third the advice to book an airport pick-up...when you've been flying all day, land in Lima and exit the secure area....there will be a mass of cabbies yelling at you trying to get your business. It's nice just to walk past them and look for a sign with your name on it.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby steve_chi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:11 pm

I did a g trip in June that started and finished in Lima. I stayed in miraflores for extra time after the g trip. It's very safe. There is a large security presence always. Very nice area friendly people.

Awesome food!!!
steve_chi
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to South America