How much money should I take on the Inca trail?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How much money should I take on the Inca trail?

Postby richmeister » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 am

Im doing the 17 day Inca Empire tour (La-Paz to Lima) at the end of July and just wondered if anyone had any ideas of how much cash to take and if travellers cheques are a good idea or just just hard cash? It's my first time trans Atlantic from the UK. Anyone who is going (Starts July 27th) please get in touch.

Rich. :D
richmeister
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: How much money should I take on the Inca trail?

Postby graybeard » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Hey there "rich"....

Difficult to answer because much depends on your spending behavior over and above the expenses not covered by the cost of the tour. Your DETAILED itinerary (not the brief overview) has suggestions. Do NOT bring travelers checks they are nearly useless for international travel anymore. Cash is king (mostly $$USD bills in pristine condition) and there are ATM's readily available most of the time. While in Cusco there are money changers that your G guide can point you toward that are good for getting the sols you will need.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Janice08 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 pm

When I was in Peru, one of the others in my group had to cash some traveller's cheques (someone "helped themselves" to his wallet on the way back from Machu Pichu). Almost all the money exchangers in Cusco had signs that say they could cash traveller's cheques but most didn't even know what they were. We had to go to the tourist info center to find out where to go - we were told there was only one bank. It took about 45 minutes to get the money - had to go to a special teller, the supervisor had to approve and the security guard had to scrutinize the cheques and his passport. But, they were cashed.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby kcupp95 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 am

You'll be fine.

I only took $100 US cash with me and just got money out of the ATM's as I went along.

Plenty of ATM's in Lima, Cusco, Puno and La Paz. I just got out the maximum withdrawal (usually about 600 soles) and made sure I was never low on cash when passing an ATM.

At the Peruvian/Bolivian border you can change all of your Peruvian money (coins included) to Bolivian so don't worry if you've got a little bit left over.

I think I spent maybe $1000 in 3.5 weeks there.
kcupp95

Return to South America