Inca trail booking advice

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inca trail booking advice

Postby pg123 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:55 am

Hi, my husband and I would like to do the inca trail with some time in cusco, initial itinerary 2 nights Lima, 3 nights Cusco with one day spent in the sacred valley (G adventures tour), 4 day inca trail, maybe a night in lima or cusco on the way home depending on flight times. We would want to choose our own hotels or at the very least be able to choose between 3 or 4.

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this and had any advice on the best way to book. Would g adventures/trailfinders book the whole thing or would we have to book only the 4 day inca trail with g adventures and everything else independently? I notice in the g adventures brochure the shortest/cheapest trip includes 3 nights in cusco at a hotel of their choice, there is no trip which is just the 4 day inca trail alone.

also for anyone who has done the trail as a couple, the faqs say that a 3 man tent will be shared between two people of the same sex, im presuming that I can specify that myself and my husband want to share?

Thanks!
pg123
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Inca trail booking advice

Postby IndyGent » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi pg123,

Do you live anywhere near one of G adventures storefront travel offices. I know you can book flights through G adventures now so maybe you can book accommodation at the hotels of your choice through them now too. Like a travel agent.
You can E-mail their sales people and ask. I've always found the hotels that G adventures uses to be not bad. They aren't the Westin but they're not a hole in the ground either.

Couples on the Inca trail trek always get their own tent to share. They won't split you up, unless you want them to. :)
Your itinerary sounds like a good one,

IndyGent
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:50 am

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/indep ... 4/details/

Have a look at the independent version, you may have some more flexility in accommodation choices.

As a previous person said, the matching of same-sex travellers in the tents is just for the solo travellers, couples of people travelling booked together will share.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby pg123 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:31 am

Thanks, I will send them an email and see what they say about the indipendent trip. Its a big holiday for us that we have saved for a long time to go on, so we want to stay in our own choice of hotel. Im sure the G adventures hotels are ok (they seem to get average reviews) but we also want the flexibility in the itinerary, as we may want to stay at machu pichu for a night after the trail.

My town doesnt have a G adventures store but has a trailfinders.

Journey Latin America seem to be more flexible in their itineraries and hotels but are expensive and for some reason they seem reluctant to tell me which local tour company they contract the trail itself out to.

Only thing is with G adventures, Ive seen a few reviews where transfers havent shown up etc and their after sales service isnt that good. Llama path get very good reviews so I could always just go indipendent and book flights and hotels myself and trail with llama path. Decisions decisions, with this kind of trip its hard to know where to start with the planning!
pg123

Postby kcupp95 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:17 am

Good luck!!
G adventures is the largest and best operator for the inca trail, so it would be awesome if you can do that component with them!!
Their sacred valley tour was also excellent :)
kcupp95

Postby rijanti hasjim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:42 am

My husband and I did the Inca Discovery Plus with G Adventure in July 19, 2014. We did the Inca trail, and book 6 months early to get the Inca Trail hiking. There is a limit to go in this trail. We stay longer in Lima, but not in Cusco. Cusco is a small city, the tour in this city already covered in the Inca Discovery Plus, and we still have time to do cooking class in Cusco. Not so many choices of nicer hotel in this city. Out hotel with G already one of the nicest. My advice is maybe stay longer in Lima. There are more nicer hotel, too, like Hilton, Marriott near the beach. And a lot more places to explore. And definitely G Adventure can help. I hope this is helpful.
rijanti hasjim

Return to South America