Cusco

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cusco

Postby marshall_n » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:23 am

I am going on the Salkantay Trek trip this coming weekend. I arrive around 7:30 am in Cusco and have a full free day there before meeting up with the group that evening.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do in Cusco while I am there for the day? Or anything or anywhere I should eat?

Also I am guessing I wont be able to check in to the hotel so early, but can I leave my stuff at the hotel while I go out and adventure? Is this a good idea or am I better taking my stuff with me until I can get in to my room?

THANKS!
marshall_n
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cusco

Postby graybeard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 pm

You are in for a good time! Cusco has a lot going for it. The hotels are used to early arrivals, so it is very likely you can have them store you luggage until your room is ready. (With luck you are not so jet lagged you can't function.) There are a number of day tours around Cusco and I would bet G has some listings for them since they have such a large presence in Cusco. The museum is good as is the Cathedral. There is/was a good coffee shop on the 2nd floor of a building on the square that's good for both the brews and people watching. (Info current as of 2011). Depending on how many sites you might want to see, look into purchasing a multi-site pass. It might save you some money. (I forgot the name of it.) Take a look online for some Cusco info. guides. Lots of info. there. It is a good walking around town, or at least the central, tourist area is. Remember, it is at altitude, so this can be a factor. Don't push it. Keep hydrated. I ate at several tasty restaurants, but sure can't remember their names or locations at the moment. Sorry.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Cusco

Postby markmol » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:41 pm

hi, Graybeard is right grab a pass & enjoy Cusco
the pass is called Cusco Tourist Ticket( BOLETO TURISTÍCO) & can be purchased at OFEC branch Office Calle Garcilaso s/n (Mon-Sat 8 am to 5 pm & Sun 8 am to 8 pm)
Tourist Ticket may be also purchased from a travel agency.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Return to South America