Amazon to the Andes, inoculations required?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Amazon to the Andes, inoculations required?

Postby grae18 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:47 am

I will be doing the Amazon to Andes tour next June, was just wondering what inoculations will be required if any? and any tips on staying healthy while doing the tour would be appreciated!
grae18
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Amazon to the Andes, inoculations required?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:17 pm

The best place to find out about inoculations would be a travel medicine clinic. They have the most up-to-date information. In general you would expect to need typhoid, tetanus, hepatitis A and B, maybe anti-malarials, maybe yellow fever. We also got a prescription filled prior to departure that we could take if we got severe diarrhea. We've never needed to take it but it's nice to have it with us in case :) Also carry pepto bismol and/or imodium in case of milder stomach upsets or diarrhea.
Don't worry, the G Adventures CEOs have great advice on where to eat to get safe food and water. We've never gotten sick on any of our trips with them. Relax and enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby IndyGent » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi grae18,

If you are worried about altitude sickness you might consider adding medication for that in addition to everything IncaTrail50 recommended. I took it with me when I was down there and never used it, but I didn't know what my tolerance was for altitude at the time.

Healthy all the way,

IndyGent
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby lthomas132 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:58 am

My wife & I did the Galapagos, Machu Picchu, and the Amazon trips, back to back, several years ago. We had our tetanus & hepatitis updated and were recommended to have yellow fever shots if going to the Amazon, which we did. Only a few people were taking the anti-malarial pills on the trip, but the side effects make it not worth it. Mosquitoes weren't bad where we were. My wife was hit with the altitude sickness as soon as we arrived at Quito. The coca leaves worked wonders for her. She carried them with her always within Ecuador.
lthomas132

Return to South America