Hiking Boots for Amazon to Andes

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hiking Boots for Amazon to Andes

Postby yankran101 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:57 pm

I am taking the Amazon to Andes tour in Sept, wondering what advise can you give me in regard to get hiking boots? Are they needed and what right one for that tour.

Thanks.
yankran101
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hiking Boots for Amazon to Andes

Postby kcupp95 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:42 am

Check out the FAQ's for the inca trail. There's plenty of information there about what sort of terrain the trail and what type of shoes you need.

Personally I'd want a boot style shoe with plenty of ankle support (similar to ski boots or roller blades). There's a lot of up and down, and you don't want your ankle rolling when going down stairs.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Hiking Boots for Amazon to Andes

Postby msslyss » Thu May 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Yes- you need them. Good advice above for boots with good ankle support. You want something that is sturdy, yet a little lighter if you are going to be trekking in the Andes. Check out your local sporting goods store or REI. I'd get them sooner rather than later and do as much walking/trekking as possible to break them in. I also got inserts for my hiking boots for some extra padding and so glad I did!
msslyss

Return to South America