Inca trail... Everyone going?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inca trail... Everyone going?

Postby lilly123 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi, I'm thinking about going to Peru. But I'm really not sure about hiking the Inca Trail. (altitude, steps, cold nights...)
My question: how is the situation in the groups. Is everyone usally going? :roll:
If i decide not to hike, will i be( in your experience) the only one and will i be on my own? Is there anything to do in Cusco in these three days?

lilly123
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Inca trail... Everyone going?

Postby TravelFun » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi there,

Do search around the forum about the trek...there's plenty of information.

The trail is not easy so: drink lots of water and take altitude sickness tablets to manage altitude (although it impacts people in different ways) and go slow and if possible get in earlier to acclimatise; there are steps especially on day 2 so get fit before you go (some fitness will help); cold nights yes but layer your clothing with thermals, fleeces and gloves and hat so can layer off or on as you warm up or cool down.

If the trip includes the trek then yes pretty much everyone will be going and high chance you'll be the only one not going. You could book and see how you feel else ask the guide to get you booked on the train to machu picchu (if there's availability)...BUT I would highly highly recommend doing the trek. Start walking back at home and just do steps at home so no need for gym! On the trek you walk in your own pace and are not rushed to keep up with the group. Usually a guide will be at the back so you will be looked after and encouraged. Give it a go. :P
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby malter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi. I'm not doing the trek on the Inca Trail. I'm with the group departing Lima on Mar. 1. Is that your group? I've never done one of these group postings...hope you get this!

There is a lot to do in Cusco. I'm not so into churches and museums, but I do want to go riding on a Peruvian horse. I hear they have an amazing gate; very smooth, not bouncy! Come with me!
malter

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 pm

More than half my group opted not to do the Lares Trek.

Our CEO stayed with them.

They had the boleto turistico included, so visited a pre-Inca salt mine and saw some more of the Sacred Valley on the first day on their way back from Ollyantaytambo. They went to Sacsayhuman and some Inca sites around Cusco on the 2nd day and then took the train to Agua Calientes around 10amish on the third day, ready to go to Machu Picchu on the 4th day.

Seemed to have quite an organized few days with the local guides and group CEO :)

Their may also be other people from other groups that have opted to stay behind that you would be joined up with.

Speaking from personal experience, Cusco was the 8th town/city/place that we had been to in the previous 7 days. Depending on what tour itinerary you're booked on it could be the perfect time to take advantage of not having to be on a bus at 7am and being able to stroll around and not feel rushed.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to South America