Land Galapagus

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Land Galapagus

Postby jef » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:22 am

Hello there fellow travellors
Has anyone done the Land Galapagus trip? Any thoughts, tip, and advice (e.g. degree of difficulty)would be awesome. THANKS
jef
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Land Galapagos

Postby sweetlemons » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Hello everyone considering Land Galapagos!

I couldn’t find much information on the forums like you so I decided to answer some questions as I recently did Land Galápagos—Multi-Activities from March 22 to March 31. It was awesome!

Should I do Land Galapagos or a boat based tour? (In my opinion)
Pro Land:
-Flexibility: Galapagos National Park regulates the cruise boats so you have a stricter schedule.
-Traveling to the different islands in the day gives you an opportunity to watch the ocean Ex. Whales, Manta Rays jumping, Swimming with things along the way like Dolphins or Pilot Whales.
-Experience the little towns at night
-Tour was cheaper and longer than boats
-More of your money stays and helps locals

Pro Boat:
-Boat cruises can get you to the more remote islands

How does the snorkel equipment work?
You get snorkel equipment (mask, snorkel, fins) in San Cristobel and keep it with you until the end. If you have your own like I did you can bring your own –to which you can also get backup. If you wish to rent a wetsuit you can do so here (in March the water was warm so no one did). If you wish to use a life jacket snorkeling (which with fins you float and move easily so isn’t needed, but if it makes you feel better) you can use one from the boat.

The packing list says bring purification tablets, do I need these?
I bought a purification system before going but didn’t use it at all, as the hotels all have blue water coolers of safe drinking water. Bring a reusable water bottle.

Do I get to see lots of tortoises on this trip?
The itinerary only mentions seeing them twice, but you will get to see a lot in wild and breeding centers ;)

How bad is the boat going from island to island?
I don’t get sick sea but after 2 hours of being on a boat I was ready to get off. You can also go up and sit by the captain and stare at the ocean which helps. Or if the ocean is calm sit at the front. The boat crew we had (Romy and John) were awesome.

Is the active tour hard?
No, our group was 19-74. You can do as much or little as you’d like. Bike riding, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking.

What animals did you see?
Sea lions, marine iguanas, penguins, frigate birds, blue footed boobies, nazca boobies, gulls, herons, flamingo, hawk, mockingbirds, finches, tortoises, sea turtles, galapagos shark, black tip reef shark, white tip reef shark, dolphins, sun fish, eagle ray, stingray, golden rays, lava lizards, geckos, crabs...etc

didn’t see?
flightless cormorant, albatross, fur seals, whales, red footed boobies

Tips
-Bring a lot of sunscreen
-Also bring long sleeve shirts to keep you covered from sun and bugs (there weren't many) at night

If anyone has any further questions I can answer about Galapagos or Quito, let me know!
sweetlemons
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Land Galapagus

Postby liliwich » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 pm

I just booked the Family Land Galapagos trip for December. So excited. This trip takes us to San Cristobal and Santa Cruz. What did you think of the hotels? What was your experience with the altitude in Quito? We are staying 3 extra days in Quito after Galapagos. We are traveling with our two boys, 14 & 10. Did you need any vaccinations/medications? Any tips or info. that is not readily available is appreciated!!!
liliwich

Postby sweetlemons » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 am

Sweet! You will have a great time. Hotel were good, same as all the other standard hotels I have stayed through my G Adventures tours. You might not stay in the same hotels as we did but we happened to stay at the Blue Marlin Hotel on San Cristobal, Grand Hotel Lobo de Mar on Santa Cruz, and Hotel Quito in Quito.

The altitude was fine I didn't experience any effects (nor did anyone in my group). The day after we got back I went to the Cotopaxi volcano and while hiking up you could feel it a bit there ~4500 ft above sea level, just a lot harder to walk up a trail.

In Quito I recommend Museo Nacional del Ministerio de Cultura (its free, lots of artifacts and gold), the Basilica (good view from the top) -I didn't make it to the Equator line but that would be good with kids as there is a museum there.

I didn't need any special vaccines -just got some boosters I needed and the usual travelers diarrhea pills they always give you but you never use.
sweetlemons

Postby michelle-rogers » Sat May 31, 2014 11:12 pm

Sweetlemons,
Thank you so much for the helpful post about the Galapagos Land Activity trip. I'm going June 3 and your information was great. Thanks again!
Michelle
michelle-rogers

Postby _michaelthompson_ » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Im going on the Isabela island tour.
Can anyone tell me if i need to bring a sleeping bag or is there linen provided at the accommodation
cheers
_michaelthompson_

Postby sweetlemons » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:37 pm

They all have made beds but if you'd like you could bring a Silk Sleeping Sack/Sleeping Bag Liner if it makes you feel better?
sweetlemons

Postby arcticflower » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Sweetlemons,

Thank you for the info. I am considering booking this tour and since space is down yo 1' I need to make a decision fast.

I have travelled on tours with several other companies that tend to use more upscale hotels. Were the hotels you had clean and did they have wifi etc?

What was the food like?
arcticflower

Postby lvs2trvl » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks for the helpful post! Which island did you see the penguins on? Did you get to swim/snorkel with them?
~The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page ~ St. Augustine
lvs2trvl

Postby sweetlemons » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:08 pm

arcticflower:
The hotels are all simple standard ones, as per the "Standard" G Adventures service type. You will find nicer hotels in the "Upgraded" type. Yes they are all clean and I've had no problems with the hotels G Adventures uses. Yes they all had wifi (free) except for the Lava Lodges on Floreana cause that island is very basic.

Lots of fish and rice! Soup, fruit, salad.. lots of options on the nights your meals aren't included.

lvs2trvl:
We saw the penguins on Isabela. On the way back on the boat from snorkelling 2 were fishing so some of us jumped in and swam with them for a bit. They are fast.
sweetlemons

Postby arcticflower » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Awesome photo, Sweetlemons!

What kind of camera were you using?

Thanks for the reply!
arcticflower

Postby sweetlemons » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:09 pm

I brought 2 Panasonics.. a Lumix with good zoom capabilities for land, the other a cheaper Panasonic. For underwater pictures I stuck the cheaper camera in a DiCAPac Waterproof Camera Case (which worked good!) The water is a bit murky and not crystal clear.

Least to Best Pictures...
Disposal Underwater Camera, Underwater case, Underwater camera
sweetlemons

Postby liliwich » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Thank you Sweetlemons. The family land galapagos is upgraded hotels. I am sure they will be great. Thanks for the info. and pictures. Anyone else going on the December 20th departure for the Family Land Galapagos? Sweetlemons, we are looking into Cotopaxi, Mindo and Otovalo Market for our extra days in Quito. Did you do any of the other excursions? We will also go to Middle of the World Monument. There is waterfall repelling and white water tubing in Mindo which I think my boys will also love. The whole trip sounds great, can't wait!
liliwich

Postby lglater » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:30 pm

As someone who has just finished this trip I can tell you that it is awesome!

The wildlife is amazing, we snorkelled with 2 different species of shark, turtles, rays and lots of cool fish. We got to see giant tortoises, lots of marine iguanas and cool bird life and even some blue whales which our guide had also never seen before.

The guide was awesome, the activities were great as well and I would highly recommend it.

The only 2 downsides for me were that I would have loved another day in Floreana which was definitely my favourite island.

Also, a couple of us vastly overpaid for an optional day trip on our return to Quito to see the Mitad del Mundo through G Adventures when we could have done it for a fraction of the price ourselves but that is a separate issue.
lglater

Postby sweetlemons » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:45 am

Liliwich, I went to Cotopaxi the next day after the islands with two other solo travellers on my trip. Could feel the altitude then lol. Our guide was good it took you out of the city and you got to see the country a bit. It was expensive excursion too as lglater said.

If I had time I would of liked to go to the equator and Mindo. The next day we walked around old town, went to the gold church , bastilica and there is a free museum with artifacts and gold.
sweetlemons

Return to South America