Iguassu Falls

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Iguassu Falls

Postby markmol » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:36 am

hi
I am going to Iguassu Falls in a few weeks & want to know which of the Optional Activities are worth doing? Is it worth going to Paraguay? Is there much do see in the short time you are there?
Which of the boat trips is the best?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Iguassu Falls

Postby btomlin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm

I did the optional trip across the border into Paraguay, the border town of Ciudad del Este. It was a quick trip, we were only there about 2 hours. We first stopped at a high end shopping mall, where you had to be given a sticker that would allow you to enter the shopping mall again. After that we walked (ok, practically ran) through the crazy marketplace streets. People are selling counterfeit everything (dvds, purses, etc), and stun guns, rifles, and everything else you can imagine. It was pretty chaotic, and our guide kept us all clustered together. After that we returned to the high end mall to spend the rest of our two hours.
The Brazilians apparently cross the border to do much of their shopping, as apparently for them electronics etc are much cheaper. To me, the prices were pretty similar to Canada or the USA, no real bargains.
Wasn't the most interesting thing I've ever done, but at that point we had done most of the other activities in Iguaccu.
I did the boat trip, we were only given one boat trip option, so I don't know how many options there are and what the differences are. We left from the Argentina side, and had a few minutes where we could have our cameras out, while we were still far enough away from the falls to stay dry, and then everything went into the dry bag and we got soaked. It's pretty amazing to be right in the falls, lots of fun.
I did the bird park as well, which is nice.

As a sidenote - if you are travelling in Brazil by public bus...dress warm....like really warm. I had long pants and two sweaters on, but I still thought I was going to freeze!
Have fun!
btomlin
User Rank: Traveller

Postby TravelFun » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:17 pm

I did the helicopter ride, boat ride and the jungle walk towards the falls all in one day from the Brazilian side. All three were awesome and each gave a different perspective of the grandness of the falls...a MUST-DO. There was a transport strike the next day so wasn't able to go on the Argentinian side but it's on my list!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby markmol » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:01 pm

thanks for the reply's, i will probably go to Paraguay for a look anway {never know when you may need a stun gun}
just 1 more question Btomiin you mentioned a dry bag on the boat, do you have to take your own or are they on the boat.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby btomlin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:00 pm

They provided dry bags (quite large ones, we all stripped down to our bathing suits for the ride, so we put our clothes, towels, camera gear etc in the bags).
btomlin

Postby marinpacker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Do not go to Paraguay it's a waste of time. I did the helicopter ride which was awesome. The best was definitely the jet boat through the falls. That is easily one of the best things I've ever done in life!!
marinpacker
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby markmol » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:48 pm

hi,
i didn't end up going to Paraguay, but did go to Ipatu Dam. The dam is absoluty enormous. I got blown away by figures of water mass, size of the dam (worlds second largest dam), electricity generated etc. However, the sad thing is that the dam ruined a waterfall much bigger than Iguazy...actually it probably was the largest waterfall in the world...now that I would rather have seen.
markmol

Return to South America