Andean Discovery-YOLO Tour

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Andean Discovery-YOLO Tour

Postby meagalap » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has any advice for the Andean Discovery YOLO tour. We are doing the La Paz-Lima trip in December 2013-January 2014.

Any optional trips we should do? Any we should avoid? Anything you wished you pack, or packed but didn't need? Did you take a lot of cash, or did you use ATMs?

We're both fairly adventurous and up for anything! I know some of the best advice/tips come will come from those who have done this before, so please provide any information you have :)

Thank you so much in advance!
meagalap
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Andean Discovery-YOLO Tour

Postby shannoncragg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi!

How was your trip? I'm doing this trip in May, but from Lima to La Paz. Any tips and/or info you wish you had known before you left?
Also, did you visit the Ballestas Islands, sandboarding or the flight over the Nazca Lines, or whitewater rafting in Cuzco? Any tips for the Inca Trail? And did you stay in La Paz at all?
Any info, tips, or suggestions would be great! Thanks!
shannoncragg

Postby mimes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:23 am

Hi shannoncragg-
I am doing this trip in May also!
Nice to meet you. I am hoping I have all the appropriate stuff, as I have already left home... on a bit of an around the world adventure :D I am curious to know about optional extra activities also (which ones are good/ recommended).
Cheers, Jemima.
mimes

Postby kcupp95 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi I just did inca heartland which is the stAndard version of this trip. What did you want to know about?
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby reduxo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:05 am

@kcupp95:
Did you do the flight over the Nazca Lines? Which airport did you start from? I'm a little bit concerned about the safety because I read a lot of bad things about these airplanes and pilots. In Germany even the goverment recommend not to do the flights from Maria Reiche airport in Nazca.
reduxo

Postby 3c39fd14d477868eb3fde7f4e05d9c » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 am

Hi reduxo,

I recently took the flight over the Nazca Lines as part of the Andean Discovery trip. The group was split into smaller groups of 4 or 5, and we each went with a different company/airline. Everything was very well organised, and we never felt unsafe. A number of people were sick as the planes are so small and it can be very turbulent, but safety was of very high importance. I would always trust G to choose companies with a good safety record - they would never recommend anything that they were unsure about. Everyone in our group did the flight, so I would recommend it if you are interested :)
3c39fd14d477868eb3fde7f4e05d9c

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:05 pm

reduxo wrote:@kcupp95:
Did you do the flight over the Nazca Lines? Which airport did you start from? I'm a little bit concerned about the safety because I read a lot of bad things about these airplanes and pilots. In Germany even the goverment recommend not to do the flights from Maria Reiche airport in Nazca.

Did the flight. I believe safety and regulations have improved since some fatal crashes a few years ago.

We went during the middle of the day and there was no airflow in the plane and was very hot and stuffy which combined with the constant banking made me quite nauseous!! Take nausea pills (you'll need it for the inevitable gastro anyway) and a cold bottle of water to slowly sip on whilst flying.

You fly out of the airport in Nazca. Last fatal crash was 3.5 years ago.

It's Peru. They seem to do safety quite differently to what we're used to.
kcupp95

Return to South America