Torres - is it worth it?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Torres - to go or not to go?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 9

Torres - is it worth it?

Postby jess.painter@gmail.com » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:29 pm

My husband and I are travelling around south america and are heading to El Calafate in a week. My question is whether Torres is a must see. I have heard some great things about it, but conversely if the weather isn't good enough it isn't worth the effort.

Does anyone know what it might be like around end March and if we should definitely include it in our plans?

Otherwise we are doing El Calafate and heading to Bariloche and the Pucon in Chile. We shall also get a chance to do some trekking in Peru and Bolivia at a later stage. So should we save our time and money for a later date?

Any advice much appreciated.
jess.painter@gmail.com
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Renee » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:22 am

Jess, I have seen a few places in the world now, and I have to admit that the Torres del Paine is one of the most beautiful end destinations of a really sweet and challenging mini-trek. Can't comment on the weather forMarch though... and , just as a aside, El Calafate...you're going to want to stay for days and days... I was there a few years ago and the restaurant "Pura Vida" was my personal favourite..in case you need a recommendation for there are so many to choose from..
Renee
User Rank: Weekender

its a must see

Postby samtheman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:30 pm

hello you guys,

if you make the effort in going to El Calafate then yeah, i have been on the road now for more then 3 years !!!!!! and it was one of the most stunning places i have encountered on my travels,

march is a bit late, weather conditions can be pretty hard, but still you have to go !!! if you are into hiking of course, there is this great 3 day hike called the W, and the campsites in Chili are pretty amazing, there are showers (hot water) and if you don't want to camp they have lodges inside the national park, (you still have to hike of course to see the most beautiful spots) :lol:
samtheman

You have to go !

Postby Myosotis » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:20 pm

If you go to Calafate, it's a great opportunity to trek the Torres del Paine National Park. Mabye it will be your only opportunity to do so. You have that chance once in a lifetime ! Go ! Do it ! Travelling through Patagonia is something I want to do with my boyfriend within 5 years, and I will do the Torres del Paine trek, even if we can't know in advance what will be the weather. I think it's a unique and special place to see, and you will regret it if you don't leap at the opportunity you have.

Marie-Eve
Myosotis
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby GregWTravels » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:03 pm

I'm going to add my voice to those supporting a trip to Torres Del Paine. Even if you only do a day trip out of Pto. Natales, it's worth seeing the towers and the glacier at Lago Grey.
GregWTravels
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to South America