What currency to take? Coming from Australia

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What currency to take? Coming from Australia

Postby drew74 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:09 am

Hey All.
Should I take US dollars and exchange in Peru?
I don't want to be travelling with a backpack full of cash
Are there lots of exchanges ? ATMs ?
I was thinking of getting a mixture of sols and us.
Help!! Cheers
drew74
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: What currency to take? Coming from Australia

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey I'm traveling to Peru and Bolivia from Australia as well and I've worked out you can't actually purchase Peruvian sols in Australia. In Peru they'll either exchange US dollars or Euros but the US has more buying power and you can pay for some things (large purchases like a flight over the Nazca lines in US dollars).

My plan is take a mixture of US cash, a travel card loaded with US dollars and my Australian credit card (in case something goes completely wrong) and exchange the cash as needed as I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of sols at the end of the trip that I can't use.

Everything I've read says that's lots of place to exchange the cash in the main towns (Lima, Arequipa, Cusco), especially street vendors and that there are plentiful ATMs there as well to withdraw cash (where the US dollar travel card comes in handy)
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby markmol » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:17 pm

hi
i took US Dollars & used ATM'S, there is plenty of money changes in Cusco, my Australian debit card worked in the ATM'S i just contacted my bank before leaving & it worked fine.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby drew74 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 pm

That's so helpful guys thank u very much
drew74

Return to South America