Sleeping bag for Lares trek

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sleeping bag for Lares trek

Postby kb89 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi, I will be doing the Lares Trek in August and have a 3-season sleeping bag that I was planning on using, but I'm not sure if it will be warm enough? Was going to get a sleeping bag liner and then wear thermals.

On other sites I've read that this is ok but on the g-adventure page is says you should use a 4-season bag. Trouble is I'm doing some camping in the Northern hemisphere a few weeks before so don't want to boil!

Any opinions on this would be great.

Thanks in advance! :D
kb89
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Sleeping bag for Lares trek

Postby Janice08 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:56 pm

I did the Inca Trail Hike in the beginning of September. My sleeping bag was rated about minus 12 and it was plenty warm enough. G Adventures also provides 4 season tents so they also help keep you warm. We didn't get frost but the people who did the Lares Trek had a heavy frost one night (you camp at higher elevation on the Lares Trek). Even with a heavy frost the temperature is unlikely to be cold enough to need a sleeping bag warmer than minus 10 - 15 unless you sleep really cold. Most 3 season sleeping bags would meet that requirement. You may need the thermals for the mornings anyways and a sleeping bag liner helps keep your bag clean so both are good things to bring. If you don't already have a sleeping bag liner and can afford the splurge, go for a silk liner. They pack down to almost nothing and claim to add a few degrees to your sleeping bag. I bought mine off of Ebay for about 1/2 of what other stores were selling them for. You also have the option to rent a sleeping bag once in Cusco.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Sleeping bag for Lares trek

Postby kb89 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks so much for the detail! I think I will stick with the sleeping bag I've got - don't think it is rated to go quite as cold as yours but I can always wear lots and lots of layers! Was speaking to a friend who has just come back from a g adventure trip to Peru and apparently before you start the trek someone will check your sleeping bag and advise if you would need to rent one? Hopefully they wouldn't let me freeze! 8)
kb89

Return to South America