Traveling base

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Traveling base

Postby kirant » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 am

I am traveling to south america from september onwards for a few months. As i would like to start and finish in brazil, and then continue my traveling. I am thinking of having a base in brazil so that i only take the essentials with me. Can anyone help in terms of how to go about this without it being too expensive.
kirant
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Traveling base

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi there, are you planning to have Brazil as your base and travel within Brazil or you planning to have Brazil as your base and travel to/fro other countries?

If it's to/fro countries then is there a reason for having a base. It'll be easier and cheaper if you continue travelling from country to county...start in Brazil then go clockwise or anti-clockwise and after a few months finish in Brazil. Just an idea!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby kirant » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:46 am

Hi there

Thank you for your response. I want to start and finish in brazil. I went to rio last year but instead of staying in the city i would like to stay elsewhere. I am travelling in other parts of south america and central so it would be good to not drag around luggage and only take the essentials with me. I also want to travel to other parts of brazil so o can do that as i go.

I guess i will have to pay for a hotel to leave my stuff at whilst i do my tours?!
kirant

Postby TravelFun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

kirant wrote: it would be good to not drag around luggage and only take the essentials with me.
I guess i will have to pay for a hotel to leave my stuff at whilst i do my tours?!

First, how much luggage do you intend to take?
Second, hotels/hostels will store your luggage if you're returning to the same place after your tours but check before you book with them.

When I went travelling around South America (9 countries in 4 months) I took a 60L backpack and a daypack. I was able to carry it up/down stairs, throw onto a bus, take it on flights etc so if you travel light then the luggage won't bother you so much. Unless you're planning to shop alot! Think of taking layers which will keep the load lighter and you can layer up/down according to weather and activity.

In certain countries have a base and then travel with your daypack and return to your hotel/hostel but move with all your luggage from country to country. Latin America is huge and you don't want to spend most of your time travelling back to a country just to get your luggage...your talking about overnight buses and/or flights which take up time and cost.

For example, when I went to Ecuador I used Quito as my base. Left my backpack at the hotel and travelled south for a week and then back to Quito for a day and then off to the Galapagos for 10 days with my daypack only and then back to Quito for a couple of days. The hotel were really cool and stored my gear at no cost.

A few things to think about...
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby kirant » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 am

The issue im having in deciding is im doing a tour for the rest of the places in south america but not brazil. Thats why i thought basing myself in brazil and then travelling around before coming back to brazil for a while. So if i want to go north of brazil i can do so.
kirant

Return to South America