Lost in a sea of weather reports

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Lost in a sea of weather reports

Postby ejmad » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 am

So, I am heading off to SA in less than two weeks and have put off packing long enough. I have a mountain of clothes now laid out and I am trying to whittle them down to the bare minimum but I am just a bit lost weather wise, just how warm/light my clothes should be.

So roughly I'll be in Argentina/Uruguay in mid/late June. Brazil early/mid July, Bolivia late July early August, Peru mid/late August and Amazon Lodge late August. We'll be taking in the Pantanal, Salt Flats, Inca Trail too. Between night and day it looks like I'll be experiencing anything from -4 to 28.

Has anybody been to SA in their winter that can advice if I need shorts or a snowsuit :lol:
ejmad
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Lost in a sea of weather reports

Postby Janice08 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Bring clothes you can layer!!! I did the Peru Panorama a couple of years ago at the end of August/beginning of September. We didn't get frost on the Inca Trail but the people who did the Lares Trek had heavy frost one morning. There were days that we wore shorts during the day. It was about 30 degrees celsius in the Amazon. Its up to you whether you want to wear shorts due to the bugs (I didn't see a single mosquito the time we were there). You can buy inexpensive hats, mits, scarves and sweaters in the markets in Lima and the Sacred Valley/Cusco. Bring a waterproof/windproof shell that is big enough that you can fit a sweater or two underneath. Bring long underwear/longjohns that you can wear under your trekking pants. I like zip-off convertible pants that I can turn into shorts when it warms up (and back to pants when the weather suddenly cools).

All of the weather you are anticipating can happen in a single day where I live (the mountains of southern Alberta in Canada) so I've learned never to go out without a minimum of a sweater and often a light rain jacket as well!

You don't need to bring a "mountain of clothes." If you bring quick dry clothes you can wash them in your room in the evening and hang them to dry overnight. The longest you will go without being able to wash clothes will be 4 nights when you do the Inca Trail and you don't need to change all your clothes every day on the trail anyways. If you did you would be over the weight limit that you can bring. If you find your clothes do need a proper wash, your CEO can direct you to a laundry service to get them washed at a reasonable cost.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Lost in a sea of weather reports

Postby ejmad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks Janice08, trying to bring the bare minimum but figuring out the best layering clothes. Difficult work. Coming form Ireland, all we're used to his rain, rain and more rain...
ejmad

Return to South America