amazon river cruise

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

amazon river cruise

Postby robk » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm

has anyone done this particular trip? leaving in august on the queen violet. would appreciate any tips on what to pack and what to expect. thanks!
robk
User Rank: Weekender

Re: amazon river cruise

Postby cate_lee » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:56 pm

I was on a different boat but I'm sure it's more or less the same.

Long pants for the hikes in the jungle. And long socks, that you would want to pull OVER your pants to avoid anything flying up. Sunblock definitely, or long-sleeve shirts that are light and airy.

Hiking shoes/boots would be good but not necessary. I got by with just trainers. Prepare for them to get really muddy though. But the crew on the boat do a great job cleaning them for you. Another pair of shoes/sandals when your shoes are sopping wet after getting cleaned.

Poncho. You're going to get rained on, doesn't matter if it's wet or dry season. It is the rainforest after all. Although they do have spare ones on the skiff.

Money-wise, get small bills if you can. People don't like large denominations.

Piranha teeth necklaces make awesome and unique souvenirs.

If your trip includes a homestay or home-cook lunch at one of the local amazon villages, bring along some trinkets as gift/token of appreciation. Tshirts from your country, exercise-books, pencils, other stationaries etc for the kids. Not candy though since they don't have really have access to dental care.

I have to say, I didn't see as much animals as I had hoped. (Loads of birds.) But my group did come across an 16-foot anaconda on one of our hikes so that pretty much made the entire trip. :o
cate_lee

Postby georgialady » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Cate, I assume you did not get sick. We have travelled all over the world but I seem to be most worried about getting sick on this particular trip. Each article you read seems to contradict the last one you read.
georgialady
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby cate_lee » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:52 pm

No, no issue at all. The biggest challenge I had was trying to sleep at night because the wall-mounted air-conditioner was on the loud side.

Even when you go to a local village to have lunch, your guide will provide that family with water and utensils to prep and serve your food.

In fact I enjoyed the food tremendously. They always have some type of local fish and a good mix of local food and stuff you would have back home for the less adventurous. One day someone from the group asked if the staff can make a chocolate cake for dessert and that's exactly what we got a few days later. :D

The posts where people said they got sick in Peru, I think that's just bad luck. I mean that can happen anywhere right? You can get e.coli and salmonella at home by eating salad.

If you really have concerns, you can always take Dukoral before your trip. I did for my Africa trip (but not Peru) and almost everybody else got sick at some point except myself.
cate_lee

Postby tracynic » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:18 am

We must have been lucky then with animal viewing 3 types of monkeys and pink dolphins every day. We swam with the dolphins and also had an opportunity to hold around my neck a 2.3m anaconda that had just been caught by a local. We also fished from the side of the boat and fished on our excursions. We also saw livestock, lots of interesting birds and loads of spiders. Of course the boat is fun in the evenings if you sleep in the open air deck and in the morning seeing all the interesting large insects on the deck. I wore hiking Keens every day and never used my hiking boots.
No one on our trip (it was a full boat) got sick at all. I agree long trousers and thin long sleeve shirts with a good hat is ideal for every day. Shorts on the boat. I remember it raining only once on us when we were off the boat and a poncho was not going to do anything to keep us dry in the warm downpour. If there is any kind of food you don't like on off-boat excursions there is always snacks available on the boat to keep you energized. If you can bear to wear sunscreen in the heat/humidity then its a good idea. We used a deet product but only lightly and we were okay - the bugs were not as bad for us as we had expected - maybe the time of year being March, not sure. Binoculars are good to have. Don't worry about taking too many clothes, there were 2 washing days on our trip when we left bags out for washing - they were neatly folded when we returned later that day.
tracynic
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to South America