JRB In search of Iguassu (Rio - Buenos Aires) tips & help

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

JRB In search of Iguassu (Rio - Buenos Aires) tips & help

Postby syll » Thu May 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi,

I am going for "In search of Iguassu" which covers Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay from mid-late June. It's my first time to South America & may be a female traveling solo (my travel buddy might might not be able to make this trip) and am a bit apprehensive because I don't speak a word of Portuguese, I will definitely look like a tourist and the reputation of Rio and Buenos Aires so any tips and advise is welcome.

I have a few questions:

1) Bag - What bag should I bring? I prefer a trolley bag or duffel bag as those can be locked but are difficult to lug up flights of stairs or long distances. I have a rucksack from my student days but some places have shared accommodation and read on the forum/tripadvisor on those hotels that a few people have had experienced theft from housekeeping, etc and my rucksack can't be locked.

2) Winter wear - As we will be traveling in winter across 3 different countries (and I assume different terrains). What should I pack? I live in London where winters are mild but can also be unpredictable.

3) Tour optionals - The itinerary lists quite a number of optional add-ons, any recommendations based on experience is welcome! I am considering the Boat ride at Iguassu but wonder if it will be freezing in Winter?

4) Currency - Should I carry local currency (BRL, Argentine Peso, Uruguay Peso) and/or USD and how much on average is required? Would be great if you could share based on your experience and spending habits. How difficult will it be to withdraw cash in local currencies at ATMs?

5) Where to stay in Rio - I have one day before departing and would like to do a whirlwind tour of the highlights. My priorities are safe, easy and quick access to main tourist sites and of course not too expensive.

6) Packing list - Would appreciate if you could share what you packed for your trip? I have read through the checklist provided by G adventures.

Thanks in advance!
syll
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to South America