Backpacks into Machu Picchu?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Backpacks into Machu Picchu?

Postby cwaters » Sat May 11, 2013 10:57 am

I read in a guidebook that you cannot take backpacks into Machu Picchu and that you have to leave them at the entrance for a small fee. Is there a size requirement? I am hiking into Machu Picchu on the Inca Trail, so will naturally have a daypack with camera and other valuables that I will have with me (and cannot leave in the hotel in Cusco). I certainly can't fit all those things in my hiking pants pockets. Can someone confirm what is allowed/not and/or have any suggestions?
cwaters
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Backpacks into Machu Picchu?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:47 pm

When you hike the Inca Trail you don't come in at the entrance, you arrive via the Sun Gate. No one there to complain about your packs! :D We brought our daypacks in from the hike, no problems. The no backpack rule might mean the really big ones that people carry all of their stuff in, rather than small daypacks. The porters took our duffel bags down to Aguas Calientes and we picked them up after we'd explored Machu Picchu.
Enjoy...it was an awesome experience!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby collywobbles » Sat May 11, 2013 4:00 pm

hi

You can take your day pack in with you. There are lockers there for big big back packs. Your day pack wont be too big because you wont be able to carry it on the hike .B sure you get your passport stamped with the machu picchiu stamp just to keep and tell people you were there.

enjoy it is fantastic experience. Listen to the comments of the tourists who came up to macchu picchiu by train bus and did not hike. I over heard some very funny comments passed by people when the saw myself and my travel buddies arriving in after the hike. cos we were well travelled and a bit sweaty hahah enjoy :lol:
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby cwaters » Mon May 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for responding! Very helpful. I can't wait!
cwaters

Return to South America