Drinking water on Galapagos trips

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Drinking water on Galapagos trips

Postby angelaugh » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi there,
We're headed down to Ecuador next week and were just trying to figure out some logistics. We were wondering what the situation was for drinking water on the ships (we're on the G8 to be specific). We really hate using bottled water because of the garbage but wasn't sure if the water is potable on board and if we are provided water to go ashore?
We'll also be staying on San Cristobal for a few days afterwards - what is the water situation like on the inhabitted islands?
Thanks so much for your help!
Angela

PS. Are bugs an issue on the boat tours/land based trips?
angelaugh
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Drinking water on Galapagos trips

Postby graybeard » Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 am

There was plentiful h2o available on board the boat, not bottled. As I only visited and did some hiking around San Cristobal, the water I carried was from the boat. No idea about situation for an overnight stay.

Bugs? Good news. At least for my trip (April 2011) I did not encounter any bug problems - gnats, mosquitoes, etc. Maybe a few flies. Perhaps I was just lucky.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Drinking water on Galapagos trips

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

As graybeard said, plenty of potable water available onboard. They try to keep the plastic waste down to a minimum. Most of the shore excursions are short enough that you don't need to worry about taking water with you but if you're worried, just throw a Nalgene bottle in your luggage.

Onboard, I believe the water is served chilled in pitchers with glasses available.

I didn't have a problem with any bugs either. There are probably flies somewhere but I didn't notice any and conditions generally aren't good for mosquitos or gnats (either too dry or not enough mammals to dine on in the swampy areas).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to South America