Peru in May

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peru in May

Postby hakunamatata » Fri May 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Hey all,

did anyone here experience Peru in May? I'll do the "Absolute Peru" trip in May...in a few day, actually:-)
As far as I read, it might be between 30 degrees (amazon jungle) and zero (machu picchu at night).
Since it seems to be that cold only on the Inka Trail, I am thinking about only taking a (quite thin) rain- and windproof jacket and wearing layers (fleece).
Or would you recommend a thick (winter-like) jacket for the trail?

Thanks
hakunamatata
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Peru in May

Postby graybeard » Fri May 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Yes, you nailed it.... layers work best and are not as bulky as the thick jacket. You can pick up a nice hat & gloves in the markets when you get there. Nice and warm, plus a good souvenir.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby leahlovestravel » Sat May 04, 2013 12:08 am

I was there last year end of May first of June. What surprised me was how chilly I found the Amazon due to the dampness if you hit a rainy patch. So take a few layers there as well. The one day I was wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt, a light wool cardigan and a waterproof shell over top. Took me by surprise.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:16 am

I also hiked the trail in (early) May and add my vote for layers. Every day we started with fleece, by lunch we were in sleeveless shirts, by dinner we were back in fleece. Depending on where you are (exposed or under cover) you may add or remove your fleece a few times a day. I second Graybeard's suggestion to buy hats/mitts when you get there. We bought at the Women's Weaving Co-op in Ccaccaccollo, initiated by G Adventures. They do beautiful work. The money they get helps the community for schools and clean water.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to South America