Inka Trail - what shoes to take

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inka Trail - what shoes to take

Postby hakunamatata » Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 am

I know, there are a lot of articles about the Inca Trail, but somehow I'm still not sure what shoes to take (I'll be there in May).
I think I read something about sport/hiking sandals. Would that be fine or do I need strong hiking boots that cover my ankle?

Thanks!
hakunamatata
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Inka Trail - what shoes to take

Postby graybeard » Thu May 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Yes, indeed, there are already number of posts covering this topic in detail. To sum them up: Hike in what you normally use for a rocky, sometimes slippery trail with sustained downhill stone step sections. The amazing porters do it in sandals or flip-flops. Some are OK in low cut hiking boots or trainers. I used my usual ankle height boots for the support. Would you be happy hiking in sandals if it rains, a cold rain, and the trail got slippery? Never, ever wear boots, etc. that are brand new unless you like blisters. No hiking experience? Buy your footwear now and get out and use them.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:59 am

And whatever you decide upon, take them on the plane! One of our group had her luggage misplaced and it never arrived in time for the hike. The day before we started out she had to buy all new hiking everything.
My husband wore lowcut hikers, I had ankle-support hikers, our daughter wore runners. We all had sandals for camp at night. Happy feet all around despite our differences. We went in May as well and the weather was perfect, enjoy!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby hakunamatata » Fri May 03, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks a lot for the helpful reply!
hakunamatata

Postby Zuleika » Fri May 03, 2013 4:10 pm

you need proper worn in hiking boots with proper hiking socks and liners. This is not a walk in the park, you need the right foot wear other wise your trip will be miserable.\It rains too much to be comfortable or safe or warm in sandals.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby leahlovestravel » Sat May 04, 2013 12:04 am

Here here for proper hiking socks. Worth a little investment.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby texasamazon » Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 am

Traction is key. When the steps are wet, and they usually are, they're very slippery. Particularly on the descent from Dead Woman's Pass, good, nonslip footwear is essential. I had on great hiking boots and still landed on my backside twice that day.
texasamazon
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to South America