Winay Wayna on Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Winay Wayna on Inca Trail

Postby slapshot22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am

Hi, My wife and I will be doing the Inca Trail in May and are trying to find out if we will be able to visit/see Winay Wayna. The trip description says that we may camp close to this site or an hour and half away. If you stay relitively near the site, you will obviously be able to do the short walk to see it, but what happens if you camp an hour and a half before?
Will there still be an opportunity to visit this site on day 3 or 4 or would it take away from the time you will have hiking to Macchu Picchu that final morning?
Where is the most likely place that we will camp during the last night on the G Adventure Inca Trail trip?

Thanks.
slapshot22
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Winay Wayna on Inca Trail

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:18 am

We camped at the Winay Wayna campsite. I think that's where most groups camp but others may be able to provide different views.
It was a 45-minute diversion off the main trail to the Winay Wayna ruins before we descended an additional 45 minutes to the campsite. No one in our group opted for the extra time. However, don't be discouraged! Our guide told us it depends entirely on the individual. Our group was not particularly fit. We arrived into camp each day around 4-5PM but our guide said some groups, usually all males 8) , would challenge each other and get to camp by noon! None of us hiked up to Huayna Picchu either but many do. If you want to go to Winay Wayna you probably can if you're up to it. The overwhelming message from the guides we had was that it was our trip and if we wanted it , they would make it happen.
We went in May as well and the weather was awesome! We had bright, beautiful, clear blue skies when the dawn broke over Machu Picchu. It only rained once, overnight. Enjoy!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to South America