Bolivia Discovery - should I book?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Bolivia Discovery - should I book?

Postby CanadianMel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi,

I am planning a 3 month trip to South America and debating if I should start off in Bolivia and do the Boliva Discovery tour before going off on my own. I thought it might be cool to start with a planned trip and I have travelled with G Adventures before and had a great time.

Anyone else going on the trip or has been on the trip and have feedback?

Is flying directly into La Paz going to be ok due to altitude? Should I arrive more than a day before the trip to get used to the altitude?

Happy Travels!
Mel
CanadianMel
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Bolivia Discovery - should I book?

Postby TravelFun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Do you have a plan on what route and countries you want to visit? It's worth choosing a route such as north to south or south to north...and then visiting the countries between the start and end country.

I went travelling in South America for 4 months and started in Argentina, went across to Chile and vistied all the countries northbound and finished in Venezuela. Just saves flying back and forth across the continent and keeps the costs down.

When do you plan to go?
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby CanadianMel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:00 pm

If I do the G tour then I would leave june 7 and after Bolivia go to Peru, then Ecuador and finish in Colombia.

Wanted to find out more about the Bolivia Discovery.
CanadianMel

Postby TravelFun » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Starting with a group trip is good and gets you settled in before you go off on your own. The trip captures the main highlights of Bolivia and I'd say go book it.

If you can, give yourself a couple of days in La Paz to acclimatise before the group trip. Altitude gets people in different ways but drink lotsand lots of water and go slowly until you build up stamina...listen to your body and take it easy initially.

You'll have a great time!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby clampard9 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Did you take the plunge with Bolivia Discovery? Any advice or suggstions? I am thinking of going May 2013. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
clampard9
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby CanadianMel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi, I ended up travelling through Bolivia on my own. It is quite easy and if you have a lot of time to plan then I would suggest this. On the other hand, Gadventures has always had great trips (I used them before) and if you would prefer to not have to plan and have the comfort of knowing people at the start of your trip then go ahead with them. I cannot comment on the actual trip code though.
CanadianMel

Return to South America