Inca Trail - Daypack Covers & Water Purification

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inca Trail - Daypack Covers & Water Purification

Postby bcassidy003 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 am

1) Since it appears most people take a 20L to 30L daypack on the Inca Trail, what have you used to cover the pack during the rain? Just a simple garbage bag or did you go purchase an actual backpack/daypack cover?

2) When it comes to hiking the trail and drinking water, did you bring water purification tablets/drops or one of those small filter pumps integrated into the water bottle?

3) And lastly, if there was one thing you wish you knew or had for the Inca Trail hike, what would it be?

Looking forward to flying down to Peru next week!
bcassidy003
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Inca Trail - Daypack Covers & Water Purification

Postby ballu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:59 pm

1. I ended up buying a cheap poncho in Peru for rain coverage which went over me and the daypack.

2. For water, night two was the only night we couldn't buy bottled water...and the porter's boiled water for us.

3. I wish I had been more fit and hadn't sprained my ankle :)
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby texasamazon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:01 am

1. Agreed. The poncho that slips over both you and the daypack is sufficient.

2. The porters boiled water for us every night, so you could fill up your supplies in the morning.

3. The amount of stuff the porters carry is VERY minimal. (And rightfully so.) However, you'll actually be weighing the duffle they'll carry, and not allowed a pound over the maximum, which I can't recall at the moment. Point is, it's far less than I anticipated and planned for.
texasamazon
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby graybeard » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:38 pm

1. Daypack cover... yes, one can use a poncho, but if the wind kicks up that can be problematic. Tried and true method: stick pack contents into heavy plastic bag inside the pack. No worries then.

2. As noted, boiled h2o available on the trail from your cooks.

3. I wish the hike had been longer. The scenery was glorious. And it would have been nice if there were not so many other people. A wilderness experience it is not. But, I knew that going in and it remains a great trip in my memory.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:45 am

Just to add to this.

You get a duffel bag that the porters carry and you also get to take a daypack with you. If your daypack is not waterproof then I would recommend bringing one along with a cheap poncho you can buy prior to the start of the trail. It's just a dirt cheap poncho. I still have mine from 5yrs ago which I've never needed.

A 30L daypack sounds a bit too big for me. You'll want to keep your daypack as light as possible for the trail. I wouldn't personally go with anything larger than 20L. You just never know how you will fare in the higher altitude.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Return to South America