How to best get from Quito to San Francisco?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How to best get from Quito to San Francisco?

Postby tine123 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 am

Hi everyone, I will join a Galapagos trip this July, and will meet a friend in San Francisco a week later. Flights are expensive, and since i have a week in-between, I thought I could maybe take a more adventurous (and slow) route. Are there any trains, maybe at least for part of the distance?

Thanks so much for your advise.
tine123
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: How to best get from Quito to San Francisco?

Postby katycash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 pm

I live in Los Angeles, and there are trains up the California coast (for example from San Diego from San Francisco). The trip would be beautiful, but I'm not sure how prices would compare, flight-wise. I don't know anything about trains through Mexico/Central American or across the US/Mexico border, which is admittedly a touchy place. I've heard of people spending a long time in line in cars getting across the boarder in Tijuana/San Diego.

I do know that the train trip up the coast is beautiful, and that you could conceivably stop in towns along the way (LA, Santa Barbara etc), though it would take a little more planning because the trains here are not as easy to hop on and off as in Europe, where I've also traveled quite a bit.
katycash

Re: How to best get from Quito to San Francisco?

Postby sinecure » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:12 pm

There isn't much for train travel, especially that distance. Flying will be the cheapest, but you could save some coin but flying into a hub in the US and then taking the train once you are in the states.
For example you could fly direct on united from Quito to Houston.

Another option is sometimes you can catch a cruise from Panama to Miami or LA.
sinecure

Return to South America