Lima extra days?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Lima extra days?

Postby meghann415 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:23 pm

I am going on the Amazon & Inca Adventure. The departure/last day is Saturday. Any opinions on if I should stay till Sunday? Flights out wouldn't be till 11pm on Sunday so it's like I'd have two whole days. I am travelling solo. Lima is part of the tour I'm on already. Should I explore other day trip options?
meghann415
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Lima extra days?

Postby Janice08 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Here's what I wrote when someone else asked a similar question about a year ago:

We booked a bike tour with Biketoursoflima.com. Because it was a Sunday we did the downtown tour. In total we were on the tour for about 4 hours starting in Miraflores and ending downtown. We then were given a map of the downtown area with the route we had cycled on marked so we could go and explore in more detail what we liked. The bikes were in good condition, the price was right and our guides were very knowledgable. It sure beat being herded around on a tour bus. The Bay tour gets lots of good reviews on TripAdvisor as well. At the end of the day we took a taxi back to Miraflores.

Another thing we did was spend a day sea kayaking with http://nature-expeditions-peru.com. We had a private tour including transportation and all equipment. Had a chance to see lots of different birds (way more variety than on the Ballestes Island boat tour) and got to be active as well - great since we had spent the entire previous day either on airplanes or at airports. The same outfit also does birding trips if that interests you.

One other long day we hired a driver/vehicle and went down the coast. I don't know if your trip includes going down the coast but if not, its worth it to see a different side of the country. We made three stops. The first was the Ballestas Island boat trip. The amount of birds is overwelming. Then on to a winery tour and last to the Huacachina Oasis where we went on a Dune Buggy Ride and sandboarding. That was awesome. I think GAP can also arrange this trip for you.

If your trip is like the one I took (Peru Panorama) then you really don't have any time in Lima as part of the tour. You have the first and last evening only. If you google "things to do in Lima, Peru," you'll find lots of other things to do. Miraflores is safe to wander around in - use the same precautions you would in any large city. Downtown is probably an area to avoid at night if you are by yourself. There are lots of people around during the day and lots to see.

Remember that it is recommended that you be at the airport about 3 hours before your flight. We were flying Air Canada and they wouldn't let us check our bags until about 3 - 4 hours ahead of time. We had arrived early from our tour down the coast, armed with airport lounge passes to have a shower at and ended up eating in the food court while we waited for Air Canada to open its check in. Not sure if other airlines are also like that as Air Canada only flies into Lima a few nights a week.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby meghann415 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks for your ideas.

Yeah, right after I posted I started doing some googling and see plenty of fun. I don't know why I hesitated and thought I would find it hard to fill time! Gotta take adantage while I'm there.

My trip does not have me out on the coast so I will investigate a day trip out there.

Thanks for the tip on the airport.
meghann415

Postby texasamazon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:04 am

You MUST see Lima. Go a day early instead (if you can) and do the city tour. It's not a bus thing, but rather a man driving a car and a woman giving you a private tour. So you can stop whenever you want along the tour route. Loved it. Then, when you have the free day in Lima at the end of the tour, you'll already know where you want to go and generally how to get there.
texasamazon
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby meghann415 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Great idea!

I have a day at the beginning and the end! Do you have a suggestion on a company name?
meghann415

Postby emerg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:51 am

Great tips! I've a day before and a day and a half in Lima after the amazon to andes tour and was wondering if I could fit in ballestas or lake titicaca at the end. Don't know which to choose yetm but am erring towards the lake. I am just trying to fit in as much as possible. I will have an eve on arrival and full day to enjoy Lima before starting the tour.
emerg

Postby rayw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:03 pm

When I went (July 2011), there was a Free Walking Tour that started in the Main Plaza near the Parliament buildings every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday if I remember correctly. It was lead by an Aussie guy named Tim, but he may no longer be there as he was talking about going on a 6 month tour around Central Asia later that year.

It was informative and enjoyable IMO. Furthermore, there was supposed to be a pub crawl he was organizing later that night. However, my buddy and I did not get a chance to go as we spent that night meeting the rest of our "Absolute Peru" group.

That being said, you might want to search the Lonely Planet forums for free walking tours of Lima. These are a great way to meet fellow backpackers, as well as get a good basic understanding of Peruvian culture and history prior to the start of any of the G-Adventure Peru tours.

Aside from that, I probably wouldn't spend more than 2 - 3 days in Lima depending on how much time you've budgeted for your trip. There's a lot of adventure to be found all over Peru -- Ica, Arequipa, Cusco, Lake Titicaca/Puno, etc. Definitely one of my favourite (if not absolute favourite) destinations to date!
rayw

Postby rayw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm

emerg wrote:Great tips! I've a day before and a day and a half in Lima after the amazon to andes tour and was wondering if I could fit in ballestas or lake titicaca at the end. Don't know which to choose yetm but am erring towards the lake. I am just trying to fit in as much as possible. I will have an eve on arrival and full day to enjoy Lima before starting the tour.

Emerg, Lake Titicaca is too far away from Lima to do a "day trip" so to speak. Cusco, which has the nearest airport, is a few hours away.

Ballestas is potentially doable if I remember correctly. I believe it was no more than a 2 - 3 hour drive Southwest of Lima. Maybe less? It's a tour option offered on the "Absolute Peru" tour. You basically get to observe sea lions up close and personal in their natural habitat. It was alright, but not one of the highlights of the AP tour.
rayw

Return to South America