Cell Phone Rentals

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cell Phone Rentals

Postby walnut19 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi everyone

I am doing the amazon to andes trip and was wondering if anyone had any experience renting cell phones for the trip. I expect i would just need to make a couple phone calls during the trip- more to just ease the anxiety of worrisome family members back home to let them know i am ok. Is it even possible to use cell phones while on the inca trail or in the amazon? Any help is appreciated.

B
walnut19
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cell Phone Rentals

Postby Janice08 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm

When we arrived in Lima we were bombarded with people trying to get us to rent/buy cell phones or sim cards. Didn't go for it personally.

There is no cell phone coverage in the Amazon. Internet is limited in time and for emergencies only. One group member had a relative go into hospital shortly afer we arrived in Peru. She was able to use the lodge's computer when the power was on in the evening to check her email. No one else could.

The is no cell phone coverage on the Inca Trail for the first couple of days for sure. On day 3 our guide was on his cell phone at lunch (we were at a Pass overlooking Machu Pichu so that may have been the only place).

The hotels we stayed in had internet but I'm not sure if they would have been good enough for skype - for sure not good enough for video skype.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to South America