Best currency to take to Chile, Argentina and Brazil

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Best currency to take to Chile, Argentina and Brazil

Postby travelbugs1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

We are going on the Southern Explorer trip shortly (Chile, Argentina and Brazil) and wondered what the best currency to take with us would be? US dollars or local currency?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
travelbugs1
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Best currency to take to Chile, Argentina and Brazil

Postby TravelFun » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Always local currency so either exchange as you go along and/or there are plenty of ATMs to withdraw local currency from. Keep some US$ as back-up money else local is the way.
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby IndyGent » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello Travelbugs,

I would recommend taking U.S. Dollars with you and changing some to local currency as you go from country to country. You need some walking around money for some meals, souvenirs, and tour options.They seem to like U.S Dollars down there in South America.
I don't know about Argentina and Brazil, but Chile has a steep visa fee that you have to pay in U.S. Dollars on entry and hotel prices are taxable unless paid in U.S. funds. As part of a tour some of these fees might be built into the price but you should consult with G Adventures to be sure.
I'm going to Chile with a side trip to Easter Island later this year and it's going to take a fistful of dollars. U.S ones. :D
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby nigelwclifford » Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 am

It depends exactly which cities you'll be going on the trip, if you are in major cities like Buenos Aires and Rio then you can get US dollars exchanged at a good rate, but if you go to remote areas you may stand a chance of being ripped off on the exchange rate or not being able to exchange them at all. So if you go to any remote areas I'd highly recommend stocking up on local currency.
nigelwclifford

Return to South America