Seeking Opinions of Machu Picchu trip with Gadventures

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Seeking Opinions of Machu Picchu trip with Gadventures

Postby ramstar » Wed May 29, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks very much for your help. And here I am concerned when all we're doing is the 5-6 hour trek, not actually doing the 4 day trek. Just more concerned about bathrooms on the trek and in the towns we'll be visiting.
ramstar
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:13 am

No apologies about doing the short hike, 5-6 hours can be a long time if you eat the wrong food! :lol: Bathrooms in the towns were decent. I think all were flush toilets. Peru is really clean. The people take pride in their cities. It's wonderful there. We did the four-day hike and one great piece of advice our guide gave us was not to try any sketchy new food until after the hike. That way if we did suffer we would be in relative comfort at a hotel. It doesn't have to be food poisoning that takes you down, your body may not take to different foods or spices. The guides know what we expect and they choose places that have good facilities.
So, stop considering and just book your trip! My only regret is that since we disliked camping we booked only the Inca Trail and not the jungle, thinking we wouldn't handle how rustic it was either. We loved it! Now we have to go back and see the Amazon and jungle and everything else we should have done at the time.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby leahlovestravel » Fri May 31, 2013 12:12 am

Definitely do the Amazon portion. Wasn't anywhere near as rustic as I had anticipated. MY regret is not spending extra time there. I really enjoyed it!
I did Amazon to the Andes last year so that's the full trek plus the rainforest
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad

Postby kristos86 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Hello again all! I tracked down my original thread to ask one more question about the Inca Trail hike. So I booked my trip months ago and I'm equal parts excited and scared (mainly of the altitude sickness possibility - but I'll deal with it, haha).

Anywho, the main reason I am posting again is with regard to backpacks. I've been buying a few things in preparation for the trip, but if anyone could recommend a specific backpack that won't empty my entire wallet, I would appreciate the help. I've seen a bunch, but was just curious to know what people have used for this hike. Thanks in advance!
kristos86

Postby markmol » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 am

hi
you don't use a full size pack on the trek, you leave your main luggage et the hotel & you will be given a duffle bag for your gear, including your sleeping bag it has to be under 6kg, the porters carry this for you. On the trek you carry a daypack with the items you will use while walking, i took a camelbak 21lt daypack, it has a 2lt water bladder in it & had plenty of room for my DSLR, snacks & to fit a spray jacket & put layers of clothes in when you warm up.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Janice08 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 am

Brand and price aren't important. How it fits is. You want something that is comfortable. A pack that takes the weight off of your shoulders is best. Good daypacks will have a real hip/waist belt that takes most of the weight of the pack. I often just use an inexpensive lightweight school back but use it with a good quality larger fannypack (about 10 litres). The fannypack has a well padded comfortable belt on it as well as outside pockets for my camera, trailmix and small waterbottle, and the daypack rests on top of it. All my heavy stuff, except my camelback water carrier is in the fannypack where it is readily accessible. The daypack is where I can put whatever layers of clothing I'm not wearing in.

One good thing to have is plastic bags to put your stuff in in case it rains. Pack covers help keep stuff dry but they are not foolproof. And if you don't bring them with you, rent trekking poles. They will save your knees and ankles on the steeper sections.

Have a great trip. I'm jealous. Would love to go back to Peru.
Janice08

Previous

Return to South America