Cusco & MP Security Warning for U.S. Citizens

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cusco & MP Security Warning for U.S. Citizens

Postby tucsonbill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

I am scheduled for GAdventures Inca Trail trek with a group of four in March 2013. The February 13, 2013 warning from US Embassy in Peru (http://lima.usembassy.gov/warden/emergency_messages.html) has left me questioning whether I should cancel the trip and reschedule in the future when there are no travel warnings in effect.

Does anyone have any advice on this? How is security in general on Inca Trail / Machu Picchu trips? Is GAventures beefing up security because of the travel warning?

Thanks
tucsonbill
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cusco & MP Security Warning for U.S. Citizens

Postby msslyss » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Heading to Peru in April for the "in the shadow of Machu Picchu" trip. Five days of this trip are in the Cusco area and Inca trail/Macchu Picchu area which is where the potential threat is focused. At this time the warning is in effect until the end of February.

Just saw on the news last night that there is also an American couple that has been missing since January and they were last seen on a bus leaving Cusco for Lima. There are reports that they made it to Lima and were seen getting into a taxi, but thats all the information the news report shared. I should note that these people were not known to be traveling with a group-just the two of them.

Most people I have spoken with who have been to that area have suggested taking the warning with a grain of salt or two, take extra precautions while traveling and not go anywhere alone. It is the US Embassy's duty to alert travelers to these kinds of issues.

Not sure if any of this helps, but I am concerned as well. It would be nice to get input from any moderators or trek leaders that are familiar with the area and frequent it enough to know if this threat is severe enough to postpone travel to Peru.
msslyss

Re: Cusco & MP Security Warning for U.S. Citizens

Postby msslyss » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I just got off the phone with a Gadventures rep and they knew about this warning before it was issued becuase they monitor everything regards to travel and the US Embassy. The rep talked with me about the level of warnings that the Embassy will issue and this particular warning is very low level. She also mentioned that if there was real concern or a high level warning, Gadventure customer service will contact everyone that is scheduled on one of their trips to that area in the near future. I feel much better after talking with the rep. At this point I am still planning on going :)
msslyss

Return to South America