Can't get excited with trip options

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Can't get excited with trip options

Postby ap517 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 am

No offense G Adventures but I'm just not crazy with the trips to South America aside from the Ecuador/Galapagos and Peru trips. I am planning on doing the Absolute Peru trip this fall, 3 weeks sounds amazing. I feel like it's a perfect amount of time and then I can always come back later in life. But I wish there was something similar for Chile, Argentina, Patagonia, and Brazil. And the trips seem awfully expensive, like $5000 for 12 days or something? and only 3 dinners are included. Really? What is so expensive? Transport? Lodging? I understand those countries are more expensive than further north. I'm fine with hosteling, dining, and city sights by myself, but I hate the actual overland traveling by myself, so that's why I like the trips. I wish each country had separate 3 week tours like Peru!! I've looked at other similar tour companies and same thing.
ap517
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Can't get excited with trip options

Postby ballu » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:21 pm

It does depend on the trip...itineraries with internal flights get more expensive...there's a Patagonia one with a cruise that I imagine would increase the price a fair bit.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby eboneecat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:17 am

You sound like my husband, he can't get excited about traveling either. Perhaps it's not the options,but your own desire to travel. I can find and adventure wherever life takes me. What is your looking for. Perhaps you should be looking in other areas of the world.
eboneecat
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby laura.b » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:25 am

I know what you mean - last year I spent 3 months working in Brazil and had a couple of weeks at the end to explore. I was looking at the trips on offer and couldn't find anything that didn't include a pointless start/end in Buenos Aires - or under £1000. In the end I followed a similar itinerary and did it myself, I think it cost pretty much the same but including all my food/travel/lodging/activities. It would have been nice to have someone to go with, but I had such a good time and the routes are well trodden so people kept popping up I'd met before. I'm going back to south america soon, I'm going on a Peru trip with G but like you said the others just aren't worth it. I dont want to spend all my time/money on internal flights!
laura.b

Postby rayw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:08 pm

The transportation infrastructure in Brazil is nowhere near as good as that in Peru from what I have heard and read (i.e. the drive from Rio to Curitiba, for example, takes more than a day).

Similarly, Argentina appears to be a smaller country that should be easy to navigate around, but is actually deceiving. I think it is comparable to half of the continental U.S.? So, just to drive from Buenos Aries to the wine region around the Andes is roughly a 10 - 12 hour bus ride.

Keeping those things in mind, I can see why some of these South American trips might get a little costly as a result (i.e. transportation costs). Plus, you'll be staying at hostels majority of the time instead of camping like other budget tour groups, which can add to the costs.

However, it would be nice if GAP offered 3 week tours exclusively within Chile, Brazil or Argentina like they do with Peru.

It would be a perfect balance for the short term budget traveler to get a good "feel" of any three of these countries, yet still have more to do and see if they choose to come back again at a later date. I never understood why GAP tries to cram these 2 - 3 countries all within 12 - 14 days like that.

On a side note, they do offer a decent Venezuela trip. I have looked at some competitors' website, and Venezuela is not even offered. So, that is one positive with GAP!

Why don't you write GAP and give them trip idea suggestions? If enough people suggest the same thing, then I am sure they will cater toward our requests.
rayw

Return to South America