Sandoval lodge vs. G Lodge Amazon

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sandoval lodge vs. G Lodge Amazon

Postby meeting_eiffel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi,

Has anyone been to either of these lodges on an Amazon trip?
We are adding a few days to the end of the Inca Trail hike and want to know which to go for!

Thanks!
meeting_eiffel
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Sandoval lodge vs. G Lodge Amazon

Postby leahlovestravel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:05 am

I've been to the Tambopato G Lodge and really enjoyed my couple days there. I only wish I booked longer so I could have done more (ex/ go deeper into the jungle where the macaws nest, etc.)
The lodge itself was more comfortable than I expected, the food was good, and the guides were terrific.
Hope that helps
Leah

ps I'm sure either way you'll have an awesome time!
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby waca » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Does anyone have any photos of the lodges?

Cheers, Waca
waca
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby meeting_eiffel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Leah - thanks! It does help :)
I'm going with my husband, my dad and a few of his friends (we're 25, they're in their 50's). There are a few people just trying to get a better idea of what to expect. Was it difficult to hike in? Were you able to communicate well with the lodge owners?

And yes, I agree, pictures would be great Waca!
meeting_eiffel

Postby markmol » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:54 pm

hi
The hikes aren't that bad, getting off & back on to the boat is a tricky but the staff are there to help with this, the lodge is more than comfortable, the bar area & meals area are quite good, the food is great.
if you google the lodge there are photos available.
Last edited by markmol on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby graybeard » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 pm

I agree with Markmol, the walk to the jungle lodges "areN'T" that bad. The distance can be a ways back from the river, maybe 1/4 mile or so at times, due to the need for the buildings to be on higher ground. Otherwise when the river floods you would watch your lovely lodge float downstream. Yes, the footing can be a little tricky if there has been recent rain, a little slick. Hiking boots and the like are not necessary. And for the jungle hikes from the lodge if the trails are wet and muddy the lodges supply high top rubber boots, called "Wellingtons" in some places. Just be sure to bring a thick-ish pair of socks when using the boots. They help with the comfort and fit. The Amazon critters are great!! With luck you will be awakened by the remarkable sound of the howler monkeys. And, curiously enough, when I was there in June of 2009 the mosquito, gnats, etc. problem was very minimal. But, on the way out the last day I forgot to put on the bug spray around the ankles, wore sandals in the boat and got chewed up by invisible sand midges when I stood on the river banks.
graybeard

Return to South America