How to choose a Galapagos tour ?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How to choose a Galapagos tour ?

Postby greenseas100 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi There...there are soooo many options, and I do not which one to choose. Would like to see the most variety of animal life as possible. Looking at a 6 or 7 day tour, not knowing if I'll get seasick. Does anyone have any suggestions? ever been to Galapagos with G Adventures?

Thanks !
greenseas100
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: How to choose a Galapagos tour ?

Postby graybeard » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Quick answer... go big. Remember that a 7 day tour really isn't 7 days when you take account of arrival/departure days count and the transfer days will eat up more than half the day. So, a 7 day tour is really only 3 full days on the boat. More days ='s more critters, both land and sea. (AND air!) As far as seasick risk.... just take whatever prophylactic meds that make sense for your body. And, remember, if you do get seasick it is now too late to take anything. Do it before.
However, the 10 G tour I took in 2011 was wonderful. If it wasn't so expensive I would do it again, only going on the Northern loop this time.

Do it!!!!!
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby greenseas100 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks Graybeard! I agree, the 10 day tours would be best. It all depends if my boss will let me take more than 5 work days off. I'll look at some of the 10 days and will consider :) Thanks again !
greenseas100

Postby sarioxman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am

I am also trying to decide on which 10 day G tour I will take this summer. There seem to be 3 for me to choose from (not G8), only G4 & 5's. The most important thing to me right now is seeing the GIANT tortorsies (not in captivity). So, any suggestions as to which tour to sign up for? Choices seem to be Southern Islands, Northwest Islands, or Eastern Islands.
Thanks to anyone who can help me make a decision.
sarioxman

Postby graybeard » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:22 pm

The island of San Cristobal is the only island (I believe, not totally sure) that has numbers of the tortoises roaming free in the highlands that visitors can see. One is shuttled up there in a small bus to look around. This is not the Charles Darwin Station. Read the FULL trip itineraries carefully to see if any of the G trips still go there. Since the route changes over the past two years this may no longer be the case. BTW, though the tortoise are very worthwhile seeing, the rest of the land/sea/air critters are fully worthwhile also. The snorkeling was amazing.
graybeard

Postby sarioxman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks graybeard, I will check out San Cristobal island.
sarioxman

Return to South America